MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
schmitty28
On the road to being a farker

Default to clean or not to clean

Does anyone know if you should clean the inside of your smoker? If so how and what should you use to not lose the seasoning your smoker has developed
schmitty28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

For arguments sake, what smoker you got? (Great avatar btw!)
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
schmitty28

its a home built offset resembles a my version of a jambo clone

Old 01-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I have a large RF offset. I powerwash it out several times each year. Afterwards I spray the inside with Pam or something similar, it's worked great so far (I can still smell it during warm days).
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I am a heavy user, so I clean my grates at least weekly. I just burn the grease and crap off and then take a wire brush to them. About once a month I will take a crumpled piece of foil and scrub the inside top and walls. My grease/water pan gets a build up in it so I have to scoop some of the burnt grease out. I do that on an as needed basis.
This is my smoker.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358633283.093063.jpg

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
schmitty28

thanks for the info

Old 01-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

After your next cook spray the cook chamber with water from your hose while it is still hot. The steam will help clean it quite a bit.
Make sure you have the drain open.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I clean my grates before every cook, but not the inside of my grills and smokers. I get the grates hot, and take a wire brush to them.

When the buildup of grease and carbon starts to flake off, I knock it off with a wire brush or ball of foil. I only do that to keep the flakes from falling on my food.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

On my offset, I use a wire brush on the grates when I take the meat off and then I usually let it sit overnight because I am pooped after fighting, er, feeding the thing for 10 - 12 hours on a big cook. Next day, I take a putty knife and scrape off the accumulated grease/gunk off the area below the cooking grates. It's usually still soft and comes off easily. Then I wipe it down with a paper towel and push any remaining liquid down to the drain. Use a wire brush reamer to clean out the drain and run a paper towel through it to finish up. I used to hose it out, but it tended to develop a little rust afterwards so I only do that a couple of times a year now.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82's BBQ View Post
I have a large RF offset. I powerwash it out several times each year. Afterwards I spray the inside with Pam or something similar, it's worked great so far (I can still smell it during warm days).
Even a couple of weeks after I use my Off Set, You can step out on my patio, and that BBQ smell seems to always be there.

My friends think I smoke everyday. I'd like to, but sadly I'm not in business.

I clean mine good, one or two times a year. The rest of the time I brush my grills, then wipe out the BBQ chamber and shovel out the firebox.

I do empty the grease bucket after every smoke, then wash it with Simply Green. No ants or critters making a mess.

Last edited by Ole Man Dan; 01-19-2013 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: underline a product name
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
BobM
Babbling Farker

I cook on WSMs, I wire brush the cooking grates and dump the ashes, that is it.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I've never cleaned the inside walls of my UDS. It has a thick layer of built up gunk on it, top to bottom. Could be my imagination but I think all that gunk helps insulate the drum and maintain steadier temps. My UDS seems to perform better, the dirtier it gets. :)

Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
schmitty28

all the replies have been great think I will clean the grates and knock any loose debris off with foil give a quick rinse down the drain wipe it dry to avoid rust and spray it down with pam with all the suggestions developed a good cleaning plan

Old 01-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
bo_gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I cook on WSMs, I wire brush the cooking grates and dump the ashes, that is it.
Do you not have any of the black flakes falling off on your food

I take and bang my lid on the concrete before placing any food on the grate, and this seems to work most of the time

Webber 18 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" OTG Kettle, Teal Thermapen

You mean Sriricha isn't one of the four basic food groups :?:
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
jacksedona
Take a breath!

i cover my grates with aluminum foil make a few holes to let the hickory smoke come thru,as far as the sides of the weber rocky mt smoker i i clean them once a year with a steaer i wear ggges t protect my eyes

http://thebarbecuemaster.net