MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Ericg
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default New Smoker

Im looking for a new smoker most likely a vertical one. I have a brinkman smoke and grill I've used for years. Just looking for something a little bigger with a door and that I can lay a rack of ribs down without having to cut them.

I was going to search but I can't find the search button.

I'm also looking for something reasonably priced.

Thanks
Eric
Ericg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

If you list what your budget is it would help. Reasonable to me might not e reasonable to you.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireburd View Post
If you list what your budget is it would help. Reasonable to me might not e reasonable to you.
How true that statement is.........

Also a good smoker you won't find at Lowes or Home Depot, unless you live near a manufacturing location you will be paying $250.00 and up for shipping as well as the price of the smoker.

A Backwoods Chubby is a nice entry level smoker. If you are looking for a pellet pooper smoker Treager sells through some Costco stores or you can order Treagers on-line through Do It Best and they will bring to a local participating store with NO SHIPPING charges. You just pick it up.

Good Luck Let us know what you purchase...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Ericg
Got rid of the matchlight.

Probably 200-400 if I wanted to pay 500 I'd just get a weber.
Ericg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

With that budget you can get a Weber.

18 1/2 WSM - $300
22 1/2 WSM - $400
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
With that budget you can get a Weber.

18 1/2 WSM - $300
22 1/2 WSM - $400
This time of year you may find them still on clearance at Lowes, Home Depot, or Target. Getting close to spring so the reduced prices will disappear.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Get the 22.5 WSM or a 22.5 OTG and a Cajun Bandit conversion kit for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Wolverine
is one Smokin' Farker

lowes will give you free shipping if you ask, entry level and so easy a caveman can do it, WSM 22.5
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
Get the 22.5 WSM or a 22.5 OTG and a Cajun Bandit conversion kit for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or the Smoke EZ conversion kit. I have one (use it on my Performer with no complaints). Lacks the legs and door but a little cheaper. Can't go wrong with either one.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

For under $300, I can highly recommend the Chargriller Akorn. Included is the mobile base, wing trays and a two-tier tray that allows the top rack to pivot out of the way with supreme ease.

It has brought me into the kamado grilling world in a most affordable way. I work with a number of guys who have bought them as well after hearing about my success with one.

Lump charcoal bags...20lb bags....last me a couple months each and I grill 4+ times per week. Stuff is super efficient. When you are done cooking, you simply close the dampers and snuff it out for reuse next time. Very little ash accumulation, too.

It's the best grill I've ever had. Can run 225 degree temps with minimal adjustment for 12+ hours......with zero problem.

After slow and low cooks on pork I've opened up the vents and in ten minutes its climbed to steak cooking temps. By the time the spare ribs are sliced and plated....here comes the ribeyes right off the grill with gorgeous sear marks from the included cast iron grate.

Buy the Smoking Stone for it for indirect cooking (mainly what I do) & their cover ( nice, heavy duty cover).

Outstanding product. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed. You don't get the sprawling volume to lay out tons of food each cook but its versatile. I often cook two large St. Lois cut slabs flat on the bottom grate and a smaller rack on the top grate.

It allowed me to live with kamado cooking and evaluate it before plunking down $1,500 on a larger XL BGE and table. I'll still need the Akorn after getting my XL BGE as its easily portable. In fact, a group of us are heading to a buddies house Tuesday to target shoot and grill. My Akorn is going, too.

Good luck!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

Im a fan of the UDS myself. I can fit 6 racks in there.
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

UDS, WSM or Akorn are all good ways to spend up to 400. I love the Akorn, but the size is a bit limiting - you have to get creative with ribs sometimes, but I'd wager you might be happiest with that one - most versatile by a mile.