MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #31
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
What is the "season" up there? April to October?

In 2009 the market begins on May 16th and runs through October 17th. The leaves don't normally come on the trees here till the first or second week in May.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #32
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
In 2009 the market begins on May 16th and runs through October 17th. The leaves don't normally come on the trees here till the first or second week in May.
Roughly the same here but have found a couple places open in April.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #33
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Thanks to all you guys I just signed up for two farmers markets in the area. They say they average around 300 people per day. It is only once per week. I am going to make all the food and I have someone that is going to set up, sell, and breakdown on all of the days. I will give you an update when they start in June. Thanks for the leads

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #34
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Great! Keep us in the loop. We all learn from each other.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #35
AZScott
Take a breath!

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try and set something up with the local farmers market this week. I'll make a post when it happens.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #36
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

That's great too. Let us know what you find out.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #37
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

There isn't enough love to express how I feel about your project.

A few tips are:

Go Ahead and do your precooks and wrap those briskets and get you a good amount frozen up precooked and frozen. Never run out... keep some frozen on standby or at least thawed. More on this later.

Keep your pit heat at Rib or chicken level and warm those puppies up in the smoker...cool section. IF THERE IS TIME I used to have a series of TWO 4 inch deep flats with a custom rack that I would use alternatively.

When one brisket was being cut, the most heated through of the brisket was unwrapped (cut) drained into the pan and placed on the rack to let the bark set up again in the smoke.

When you need another brisket the one you did earlier is ready and you simply repeat the process. unwrap, drain, bark it up.

Now about freezing and stocking up. Always print out on your menu a family meal and plant those seeds to your customers (in print, my word of mouth) that you have entire briskets (or portions) pre packaged and for sale with sides with reheating instructions in case they need a night off for cooking or want to take some to a work function the next day.

whats not sold.... you keep.... its frozen and ready for the next time.

I used to have a safe amount cooked for event that day and a frozen back up for "take home sales."

I preferred frozen back ups because I was not comfortable with handing them a 35 degree brisket with my sticker on it that may sit in the car a few hours.

Pork butts too but pull the bone before vacuum packing.

Sides.... "You want Potato Salad? Heres a bag of Chips." LOL
Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #38
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Thank you very much Donnie. I appreciate your post on many different levels and am all ears.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #39
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
Thanks to all you guys I just signed up for two farmers markets in the area. They say they average around 300 people per day. It is only once per week. I am going to make all the food and I have someone that is going to set up, sell, and breakdown on all of the days. I will give you an update when they start in June. Thanks for the leads
Farmer's Markets around the world are going to be known for the BBQ. Woo hoo.
MrsMista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #40
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
There isn't enough love to express how I feel about your project.

A few tips are:

Go Ahead and do your precooks and wrap those briskets and get you a good amount frozen up precooked and frozen. Never run out... keep some frozen on standby or at least thawed. More on this later.

Keep your pit heat at Rib or chicken level and warm those puppies up in the smoker...cool section. IF THERE IS TIME I used to have a series of TWO 4 inch deep flats with a custom rack that I would use alternatively.

When one brisket was being cut, the most heated through of the brisket was unwrapped (cut) drained into the pan and placed on the rack to let the bark set up again in the smoke.

When you need another brisket the one you did earlier is ready and you simply repeat the process. unwrap, drain, bark it up.

Now about freezing and stocking up. Always print out on your menu a family meal and plant those seeds to your customers (in print, my word of mouth) that you have entire briskets (or portions) pre packaged and for sale with sides with reheating instructions in case they need a night off for cooking or want to take some to a work function the next day.

whats not sold.... you keep.... its frozen and ready for the next time.

I used to have a safe amount cooked for event that day and a frozen back up for "take home sales."

I preferred frozen back ups because I was not comfortable with handing them a 35 degree brisket with my sticker on it that may sit in the car a few hours.

Pork butts too but pull the bone before vacuum packing.

Sides.... "You want Potato Salad? Heres a bag of Chips." LOL

Just make sure that you are cooking/freezing/storing in line with your local health codes - LA and OC allow NO product cooked, precooked or frozen at a residential location and then sold or even given away. Rule follower mod...
Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #41
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Rocke View Post
Just make sure that you are cooking/freezing/storing in line with your local health codes - LA and OC allow NO product cooked, precooked or frozen at a residential location and then sold or even given away. Rule follower mod...

In an earlier post I said I am using a compliant kitchen at the church, or the town hall basement which are both just a few doors down the street from me. I expect that will be acceptable, but I might be wrong. I do appreciate your concern and helpful comment.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #42
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
In an earlier post I said I am using a compliant kitchen at the church, or the town hall basement which are both just a few doors down the street from me. I expect that will be acceptable, but I might be wrong. I do appreciate your concern and helpful comment.
Out here if you use a kitchen you have to list the location and their health permit number. If you don't have a permitted kitchen you have purchase all items to be cooked the same day. And on the off chance the health inspector does show up you have to show your receipts.
MrsMista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #43
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

What are the hours of these farmers markets? Around here they are all typically from 7A- 1Pm
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #44
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Ours is 9 AM until 1 PM on Saturday morning, but it is very well attended since we are in a tourist area. It is THE thing to do on Saturday morning. Everybody turns out to see each other and stroll around if they buy anything or not.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #45
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Just seems like a small window time to sell BBQ
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote