Some Cuban on the WSM...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
As much as I like some good American BBQ from my WSM, it is not the only thing you can cook on a smoker.

I loved the Cuban flavors I ate when my parents lived in Puerto Rico. So, today I did a Cuban roast pork butt on the smoker, with very little smoke -- just one chunk of apple wood on the fire-- but a lot of garlic in and on the meat.

I also made a pot of slow cooked Cuban black beans, again with lots of garlic, plus some peppers and herbs from my garden.

I cut slits into the raw pork butt, and stuffed garlic into them. I then seasoned the butt with salt, pepper, and more garlic. Then, onto the smoker.

picture.php

I diced some onions, and sweated them in OO. I added a healthy amount of diced garlic, then the beans, and some oregano and a jalepeño from my garden. I simmered the beans for a couple of hours.
picture.php

I served the pork sliced thick, and the beans over rice.

picture.php

The pork was incredibly moist and tender -- I ate the whole meal with just a fork. If you haven't tried cooking authentic Cuban food, you need to. It is so simple, yet so good.

CD

Beautiful looking pork, and those beans look like the perfect side for it. Nice job!:clap2:

Oh, man. I muss Lupe'. He was half owner/cook/chef of "Lupe and Bea's" little hole in the wall Cubano/Tex Mex restaurant (Lupe was Cubano, Bea was, well, Tex Mex, natch). They had a dish very similar to that which was one of my favorites. Nicely done CD.

Back