Hickory for brisket???

mrpigs

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Local Kroger had choice whole packers on sale today for $2.49/lb so I grabbed one for my first ever whole brisket cook next Friday or Saturday.

I got plenty of weird looks as I went through the whole bin checking every one for the thicker flats, floppiness and fat content. Hope I picked a good one.

My question is, in all the hours I've spent researching brisket cooking I can't recall seeing anything on using hickory for smoking a brisket.

I'm asking because my oak supply is almost gone and what's left is so well seasoned that I probably won't get hardly any smoke out of it anyway. I do have plenty of black cherry and last fall I happened upon a bunch of hickory that ranges from partially to almost fully seasoned and got it for free.

Should I try it? Maybe mix some in with the oak and/or cherry?

Thanks for any advice.

You betcha...........

Hickory is good for brisket............I often use a mix of hickory and oak.....or pecan......I prefer my hickory well seasoned...........it seems to me that if it is a little green that it can get a little bitter........maybe that is not the right description...........but I just like the seasoned hickory better.....

Yes to seasoned Hickory with beef. Ans sometimes a bit of skeet mixed in aint bad when it comes to beef.

I hope hickory is ok with brisket! I used hickory, pecan, and red oak on my smoke today for brisket and turkey breast.

I smoke brisket with pecan, which is close to hickory, as thirdeye said, its hickory's little brother.

It will work great! I have grown up with hickory bbq. I haven't had a taste comparison with oak, although I do like oak a lot.

Hickory and Oak are my favorites. Used alone or in combination will be great on brisket. Good luck with that first Packer brisket cook too!

If no one else has suggested, hickory is fantastic with brisket. I absolutely love it!

Thanks everyone.

I've used store bought hickory plenty of times on pork butts and ribs but never tried it with beef.

The hickory I have now grew near here and I got it in logs with no bark or leaves so I have no clue what type of hickory it is. It sure smelled good when I was cutting and splitting it though.

I have a pretty good idea that it is going to produce a stronger smoke than the store bought stuff so the plan is to mix some in with the oak and cherry and see what happens.

Thanks again.

I'm at a point that I could care less about what type of wood I use to smoke meat with.

At one time or another I've had apple, hickory, maple, oak and cherry on the pile and I'll just grab whatever and keep it moving.

Now when it comes wood chunks on the Hunsaker with chicken I tend to try to use apple chunks only since its a bit milder.

Back