MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Missouri State Fair now KCBS Sanctioned

For years the Missouri State Fair contest has been a State Qualifier, but never sanctioned by the KCBS. A $45 entry fee, one day cook, and three entries could get you a possible trip to the Royal and GAB invitationals.

Now it looks like a two day, traditional KCBS contest. Its on the KCBS site.

I don't know Edna, but Chris Koetting has been organizing another KCBS contest for a few years. The Morrows are excellent reps.

Missouri State Fair Show-Me the Que
Contact: Edna Vollmer/Chris Koetting, 2503 West 16th Street, Sedalia, MO 65301
Phone: 660-827-8116/221-2080 Fax: 660-827-8150
KCBS Reps: MORROW PHIL, MORROW ROSEMARY

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I've done this contest for the last two years. It is a great little contest and has drawn a group of folks that will probably never compete there again. I'm sure most will, but I think changing this to a sanctioned event and throwing out the lamb category will hurt some. I was told by Martha(former orginizer) that Chris was going to most likely take it over. I have also heard that there won't be any room for rv's since there is such limited space and they are having it in thte same place as normal. There is supposed to be gernerators this year and water I heard will be the same plastic tank in the middle of the lot. I guess we'll have to see how it all falls into place. The contest is held on the south end parking lot at the end of the race track. It's a gravekl parking lot and has been holding about 55-57 teams in about 20x20 spots or so.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
I've done this contest for the last two years. It is a great little contest and has drawn a group of folks that will probably never compete there again. I'm sure most will, but I think changing this to a sanctioned event and throwing out the lamb category will hurt some. I was told by Martha(former orginizer) that Chris was going to most likely take it over. I have also heard that there won't be any room for rv's since there is such limited space and they are having it in thte same place as normal. There is supposed to be gernerators this year and water I heard will be the same plastic tank in the middle of the lot. I guess we'll have to see how it all falls into place. The contest is held on the south end parking lot at the end of the race track. It's a gravekl parking lot and has been holding about 55-57 teams in about 20x20 spots or so.
We've done it 4 out of the last 5 years. Missed it two years ago. We were told no generators, but Lutz BBQ had a generator and a concession trailer there. It was a hot sucker last year wasn't it? That 1/2 mile walk felt like 20.

You are right that this contest sure will change. Sad really.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 04-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I just talked to Chris and it looks like the entry is going to be $160 and will include entry for two persons. Anyomore than two people in your party costs regular entry rate. It is a 4 category KCBS and might possibly have an alternate for lamb (MAYBE). The spots are at this time going to be 20'x30' and if possible he will make them 20'x35'. If you can get your rv in your spot then it looks like they will be allowed. Also there might be additional rv parking out on the south lawn area where the school buses park. They will have one generator that's gonna sit out in the middle and have runs to both ends. Water should be coming around on a gator hopefully. Not sure about ice, I forgot to ask. As far as payouts is concerned Chris said he thought GC pays $1500 and wasn't sure of the rest but said it should pay out to 5th place in each category. This is all the info I have. Chris said the application and information will be up on the state fair website on May1, 2007.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
I just talked to Chris and it looks like the entry is going to be $160 and will include entry for two persons. Anyomore than two people in your party costs regular entry rate. It is a 4 category KCBS and might possibly have an alternate for lamb (MAYBE). The spots are at this time going to be 20'x30' and if possible he will make them 20'x35'. If you can get your rv in your spot then it looks like they will be allowed. Also there might be additional rv parking out on the south lawn area where the school buses park. They will have one generator that's gonna sit out in the middle and have runs to both ends. Water should be coming around on a gator hopefully. Not sure about ice, I forgot to ask. As far as payouts is concerned Chris said he thought GC pays $1500 and wasn't sure of the rest but said it should pay out to 5th place in each category. This is all the info I have. Chris said the application and information will be up on the state fair website on May1, 2007.
Wow, this comp is going in the wrong direction, IMHO. $160 from $45, chitty location, and payouts still suck. The draw for this contest was the low entry fee and Royal/GAB invite. For $160, I don't know that its worth it anymore. Much better contests out there.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Sanctioning is not cheap... but there does seem to be some disparity there if the old entry fee is $45. I would expect some of that to go to the prize money too...

Old 04-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Greatgrills
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
Sanctioning is not cheap... but there does seem to be some disparity there if the old entry fee is $45. I would expect some of that to go to the prize money too...

Last year GC was 500.00 and reserve was 300.00. Each entry then paid 250.00 for 1st, 150 for 2nd, 100 for 3rd, 50 for 4th and 25 for 5th, you could only enter 3 out of the 4 avail. With the new entry fee the payouts are already going up..Dont know the exact payout now. All we know is that it is another KCBS contest close to home Yes there are backyard teams that probably will not do the contest but if they love doing the contest I think they will still go. If you have or are like us and have seen that there are not many more backyard contest avail it is because, our view, that the sport has become so big that the backyarders CAN cook a KCBS contest. It would be something to complain about if you had someone putting on this contest that didnt know what they were doing. Chris is a very good contest organizer and knows what needs to be done. We will cook this contest and not complain bout the entry fee.. Yes it was alot less entry fee last year but so were the payouts.

Mark and Becky
Great Grills O' Fire
Homemade Smoker
22 1/2" WSM for chicken
WSMx2 for when I make my own team
And lots of beer drinkin
Greatgrills is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgrills View Post
Last year GC was 500.00 and reserve was 300.00. Each entry then paid 250.00 for 1st, 150 for 2nd, 100 for 3rd, 50 for 4th and 25 for 5th, you could only enter 3 out of the 4 avail. With the new entry fee the payouts are already going up..Dont know the exact payout now. All we know is that it is another KCBS contest close to home Yes there are backyard teams that probably will not do the contest but if they love doing the contest I think they will still go. If you have or are like us and have seen that there are not many more backyard contest avail it is because, our view, that the sport has become so big that the backyarders CAN cook a KCBS contest. It would be something to complain about if you had someone putting on this contest that didnt know what they were doing. Chris is a very good contest organizer and knows what needs to be done. We will cook this contest and not complain bout the entry fee.. Yes it was alot less entry fee last year but so were the payouts.
We are in agreement. And it would appear you address my other point - if a share of the additional fees are going into the prize pot to boot - then sounds like everything is good. Sanctioning costs money, as does raising the prize pot. That, to me, explains the increase in costs. Seems like it is in line with others in this price range.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
Greatgrills
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
We are in agreement. And it would appear you address my other point - if a share of the additional fees are going into the prize pot to boot - then sounds like everything is good. Sanctioning costs money, as does raising the prize pot. That, to me, explains the increase in costs. Seems like it is in line with others in this price range.
So you will be there cooking???

Mark and Becky
Great Grills O' Fire
Homemade Smoker
22 1/2" WSM for chicken
WSMx2 for when I make my own team
And lots of beer drinkin
Greatgrills is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Nope - I cook Hillbilly Days and the Roots Festival in August. Not enough $$ to do more than those at that point in the year, unless I win some jack earlier in the season.

I just wanted to defend the increase in fees, because becoming a sanctioned event isn't cheap. I think $160 is fair for what it is.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:08 AM   #11
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgrills View Post
I didn't realize the prize money was that low in the past. Thanks for clarifying. The increase isn't so bad in comparison then.