MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #9091
Tattooque
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjess View Post
that'd be it!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #9092
handsareme
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Install a UF watertight conduit nut in the side of mine it has a rubber grommet in the middle so your leads don't get chafed. It can be seen above the shelf. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes.

Thanks, my local Ace doesn't have them that small so I'm gonna have to wait until I head to the city.

As for the temp idea, my thermometer isn't actually all that long, maybe going into the barrel, at most, 4". I thought it was hotter in the middle, so if it's reading 225, wouldn't it be hotter? Or am I completely wrong?
handsareme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #9093
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsareme View Post
As for the temp idea, my thermometer isn't actually all that long, maybe going into the barrel, at most, 4". I thought it was hotter in the middle, so if it's reading 225, wouldn't it be hotter? Or am I completely wrong?
I use a short one. Didn't care for the long turkey thermometers.

I also use a 16" clay pot base from HD as a diffuser, then I cover it with foil to keep it clean and catch any drippings. I didn't like it dripping into the coals. When I am finished smoking I close the vents and let the fire go out. I can then reuse what is left over from the cook.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #9094
kevine
Full Fledged Farker

Default Almost done...

I'm just about done with my first UDS (thanks to all of the great info on this site....THANK YOU!) Here's a couple pictures of my progress to date.

I saw some postings and other threads saying that you do NOT need high heat paint, since the temp should not go above 400 degrees. Just wanted to get an idea from others how their regular paint UDS' are doing?

Also, I wanted a certain logo, but it would be too hard. So after painting it one solid color, I was considering mounting a vintage tin sign to the outside. Any issues anyone can think of if I do this?

Last edited by kevine; 05-07-2013 at 07:08 PM..
kevine is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #9095
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

My paint after many cooks is holding up fine. You'll be fine as long as you don't get some roaring fire going in the UDS.

As for the logo,just curious what logo do you think is too hard to do?

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #9096
kevine
Full Fledged Farker

Marine Corps flag...I wanted to paint the UDS red, and then put the eagle globe and anchor with the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS banner underneath, just like the flag...

Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #9097
kevine
Full Fledged Farker

On second thought, I may just paint it red, and in large yellow letters, just put U S M C on it...easy and cheap!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #9098
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Congratulations on a nice KISS UDS!

I used a metal valve stem (minus the valve) for the thermometer hole. It's a perfect fit and it's chrome plated.

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...xts/15-416.jpg

The 1/2" water-tight Halex conduit connector is perfect for the digital probe wire.

I also did my charcoal basket like yours, using the lower "water pan" grate to hold the upside-down basket for grilling. I had to add some more intake holes at the new charcoal level to get good grilling temperatures. Now it works great.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #9099
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Like the tire valve. How much did it cost?

Brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #9100
rrlmch
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Venison snack sticks in UDS

Has anyone done venison snack sticks on the UDS. From what I have read the temps start pretty low. Can you do this. I am half way through my build and am very interested in the snack sticks. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
rrlmch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #9101
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

The tire valve stems are sold in pairs for about $5 around here. Just remove the actual valve and the turkey fryer thermometer is a perfect fit.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #9102
NU2QN
Full Fledged Farker

Default Started Build on Tuesday, Cooking on Sunday

I started building my UDS on Tuesday after work. I had it 75% complete an seasoned by Thursday night planning on a lot of cooking for the weekend. The wife pulled the "I want to go to the coast" card on me Friday morning. So much for smoking. However I didn't miss out on the food. Mo's Authentic Hickory Pit BBQ in Pismo beach has some of the best Pulled Pork Sandwiches. We got home early enough on Saturday for me to get the few things I needed to complete the UDS and Boston Butt for a trial run on Sunday. Everything turned out great. I took some picture of the finished product that i will post later. Here are some pics of my UDS.

Attachment 60002

Attachment 60003

Attachment 60004

Attachment 60005

Attachment 60006

Attachment 60007

Attachment 60008

Thanks for all the input on this sight. Very helpful!!!

Last edited by NU2QN; 02-24-2012 at 06:42 PM..
NU2QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #9103
crappiemike
Found some matches.

I just made 4lbs. of jerky on my uds,cut a rump roast into 1/4 inch strips and seasoned and refrigerated overnight.Used two racks one upside down on the other to hold the strips and smoked for four hours at 150 to 165 degrees.Had to have my 2inch single air intake almost totally closed to maintain the temp....The handles on the upside down rack holds it about 2 inches above the lower rack..
crappiemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #9104
Lawdog's Smokewagon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
I'm just about done with my first UDS (thanks to all of the great info on this site....THANK YOU!) Here's a couple pictures of my progress to date.

I saw some postings and other threads saying that you do NOT need high heat paint, since the temp should not go above 400 degrees. Just wanted to get an idea from others how their regular paint UDS' are doing?

Also, I wanted a certain logo, but it would be too hard. So after painting it one solid color, I was considering mounting a vintage tin sign to the outside. Any issues anyone can think of if I do this?
I used regular Rustoleum thinned with 15% acetone and sprayed 2 coats. It has held up perfectly. I used a magnectic Alabama Logo on the front and it has done fine too. I know a few on here have done the vinyl wrap for more elaborate looks. And they seem to work good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iphone 023a.jpg (38.1 KB, 859 views)
File Type: jpg iphone 035.jpg (24.1 KB, 854 views)

Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #9105
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NU2QN View Post
I hope you burned out the dreaded red liner inside that drum!

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker