• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

straight rib bones

Hozman

Take a breath!
Reaction score
We did our first comp last week. The one thing we had a hard time with was finding 6 straight spare rib bones to put in a box. Seemed all the bones angled. We had 6 slabs and was just able to find 7 straight bones for turn in.

How important are straight bones vs just have symmetrical looking ribs that look nice in a box. Is there a trick to purchasing ribs with straight bones?

I gota agree. As long as they aren't "S" shaped :shocked: . With that specific thought I think it's more important that you have a symmetrical cut so there are equal amounts of meat on each side of the bone, and the bones look symmetrical in the box. Cheers!!!

We did our first comp last week. The one thing we had a hard time with was finding 6 straight spare rib bones to put in a box. Seemed all the bones angled. We had 6 slabs and was just able to find 7 straight bones for turn in.

How important are straight bones vs just have symmetrical looking ribs that look nice in a box. Is there a trick to purchasing ribs with straight bones?

I have been wondering the same thing, the last few cryo's of ribs I have bought have been horribly angled, so much so that I was lucky to get 6 ribs in the box at the last contest. Almost to the point that they were bent.

Told myself that I wouldn't let it happen again. I am going to buy a whole case of ribs this week just to see if there are two racks in the whole bunch that have straight bones.

Not sure if it effects the score that much, but it worried me when I was trying to get 6 in the box and my appearance scores were not as good as before when I was easily able to find 6 "straighter" bones.

Question:

When y'all say "straight bones", are you talking about bones with no "side to side" curve, or bones that are perpendicular to the long axis of the slab??

Based on the actual condition, I have some thoughts--but need to figure out what you are talking about.

TIM

Question:

When y'all say "straight bones", are you talking about bones with no "side to side" curve, or bones that are perpendicular to the long axis of the slab??

Based on the actual condition, I have some thoughts--but need to figure out what you are talking about.

TIM

Tim,

For me it has been a little bit of both of those issues. The only bones that were straight for me on the last 6 racks were the ones on the meaty end and I don't like to turn those in.

One rack will have bones that are way out of perpendicular and the next will actually have bones that have a side to side curve in them.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

don't buy multi rack cryoed ribs.

I think you hit the nail on the head! I was buying them from my local grocery store in individually cryoed packages and I could tell pretty well what they looked like, but when I showed up to buy them for the last comp they didn't have any.

Guess I better go ask a little sooner than the day before the comp next time!

What really kills you is when you are slicing a rack, and everything is going great until you realize that all the bones are straight, they just change direction half way through. Kinda like this.

llllll///////

I've struggled with this all year. Finally have found some good St. Louis ones that are thick and straight and no curve like baby backs.

Before now I just tried to adjust the cut to make them look nice for the presentation.

got a 2nd place call a few weeks ago.... had plenty of straight bones from the 6 racks we made. But the tastier ribs we chose to turn in were not the straight ones and hit. as long as the box looks good and the ribs are spot on you should have no issues

Last competition I tried cutting them meat side down for the first time and will probably never go back. I never wanted to try before because I thought it would screw up the glaze, but the rack I started cutting into wasn't going to be turned in since I didn't like the tenderness so I flipped them over. The bones were llll////, but upside down you can easily see where to cut.

Then when I flipped them back over the glaze was still ok. It was smudged in a few places but easily fixed with a brush and a little more glaze. So I cut the other 3 racks this way and didn't run into one bone. I highly recommend giving it a try :becky:

What really kills you is when you are slicing a rack, and everything is going great until you realize that all the bones are straight, they just change direction half way through. Kinda like this.

llllll///////

I don't have a lot of choices when buying meats, Walmart of Publix. I got some practice ribs from Wally World and they were enhanced and really sucked. I went to Publix yesterday and bought some natural ribs and the guy let me look through the case, every pack (3 packs) had crooked bones as depicted above.

Back