The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #31
EdF
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry about your Dad. But that's what I call a "legacy". If you're the reading type, this book will acquaint you with the Egg and the many methods you can use with any Kamado.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #32
EdF
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtwoq View Post
Wow, thanks guys! It's kind of funny my dad always kind of took after my hobbies, he got a Jeep after I did (I long ago sold mine and now own his), he started BBQ after I got into Competition BBQ, etc.

Tonight I will finally have time to unload it off the trailer and will be burning her out (some funky stuff in there from sitting) and doing the first cook on her this weekend, most likely steaks.

Anyone every light it off with MAPP gas? This is my preferred method for my WSM's but I have heard that some don't want to to avoid heat shock and to hopefully prevent cracks. On that note, any preventative tips to avoid cracks?
I've had mine since 2002, and never had a crack. I do however use a chimney for starting. But I've also had it up around 1000F for steaks and pizzas.

That comment someone else made about continuing the warranty is a really good idea. Call the factory, not a dealer.

If you have the receipt, that will help!

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #33
Smoking Piney
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdF View Post
But I've also had it up around 1000F for steaks and pizzas.
A grand? WOW!

I sear steaks at 500-600 and do pizza at 600.

Do you wear a fire suit to approach and open your Egg at 1000?

That's nearing foundry level heat.........

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #34
hurricanedavid
is one Smokin' Farker

I’ve pegged my thermometer multiple times. Gloves and careful burping is a must to prevent bodily harm.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #35
newtwoq
Take a breath!

Got her fired up Sat and let her burn off coming up to temp at 650*. Then followed the “Perfect Steak” method; 2.5 min flip, 2.5 min flip, shut her down 3.5min. Steaks came out 125* which was a bit more than we normally like them (usually pull at 119*), but they were incredibly good and had quite a bit of flavor and juiciness! All in all was a good first cook! I was amazed at how easy it was to regulate the temp on this cooker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
18.5" and 22.5" WSM's
18.5" and 22.5" Weber Kettle's
36” Blackstone
DigiQ DX2
Pit Master IQ110
Mav. ET-732
Thermapen
newtwoq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->