MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #181
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

I hate green bean casserole. HATE!

I am man enough to admit that I cooked around 50 briskets before I finally learned how to cook them. I love it now, but I also love to cook/eat tri tip. TT is about as easy of a cook that you can get.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #182
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawley View Post
<––––– Born in Texas, rasied in SoCal, college in San Luis Obispo (just up the road from the tri-tip capitol or the world, Santa Maria, CA)

My thoughts:
1. Saying you've had "properly prepared brisket" only counts if you've eaten it in Lockhart TX. There are plenty of variations of "good" brisket I gather comp judges do give awards for. Let's just agree that if you've never been to Lockhart, you're lacking in the credibility dept. when talking about brisket. No matter what the f-ing KCBS judges say...

2. Point & flat are real different – although they must be made together. The OP said "I think a brisket flat is one of the most overrated meats in the BBQ world." He didn't say brisket. He said brisket flat. He didn't say Sucks, Lousy or Hate. He said overrated. Fair enough. I feed it to guests who don't know any better, also.

3. I think of tri-tip as BBQ fast food. Quick, tasty & satisfying. Not very hard to fix. Perfect in many situations. Though not all.

4. Unlike brisket, no need traveling to the tri-tip's temple of lore to see how it "should be done." The locals poor salsa all over it quicker than you can say no. Idiots. (But the sourdough bread they serve it with is worth having FedExed.)

5. The most important ingredient to any prepared dish is Love. Brisket stands alone among beef cuts in that regard. The post below says it better than I can.

FYI – we had a neighborhood throwdown last year for about 300 people: my Texas style UDS brisket vs. my Santa Maria-born buddy's tri-tip – which is as good as I've ever had. I won. And there was leftover tri-tip.
Agreed with everything you said except (and you knew that was coming) item 1. Although we weren't known NATIONWIDE (in TX... lol), we put out some pretty darn good Q in a little hole in the wall in Port Arthur TX. And I put out a mean brisket now. I don't think you have to go to Mecca to figure out what you like and don't like... to each their own. Good smokin luck.....lol

I wish I could get my hands on Tri-tip more often, I like it too, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE brisket
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Weber Genius Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #183
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I just KNOW this seance is gonna channel Ann Richards...

LOL and your not even from TEXAS. LMAO that threw me. I so miss her thought. May she rest in peace.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #184
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
<––––– Born in Texas, rasied in SoCal, college in San Luis Obispo (just up the road from the tri-tip capitol or the world, Santa Maria, CA)

My thoughts:
1. Saying you've had "properly prepared brisket" only counts if you've eaten it in Lockhart TX. There are plenty of variations of "good" brisket I gather comp judges do give awards for. Let's just agree that if you've never been to Lockhart, you're lacking in the credibility dept. when talking about brisket. No matter what the f-ing KCBS judges say...

2. Point & flat are real different – although they must be made together. The OP said "I think a brisket flat is one of the most overrated meats in the BBQ world." He didn't say brisket. He said brisket flat. He didn't say Sucks, Lousy or Hate. He said overrated. Fair enough. I feed it to guests who don't know any better, also.

3. I think of tri-tip as BBQ fast food. Quick, tasty & satisfying. Not very hard to fix. Perfect in many situations. Though not all.

4. Unlike brisket, no need traveling to the tri-tip's temple of lore to see how it "should be done." The locals poor salsa all over it quicker than you can say no. Idiots. (But the sourdough bread they serve it with is worth having FedExed.)

5. The most important ingredient to any prepared dish is Love. Brisket stands alone among beef cuts in that regard. The post below says it better than I can.

FYI – we had a neighborhood throwdown last year for about 300 people: my Texas style UDS brisket vs. my Santa Maria-born buddy's tri-tip – which is as good as I've ever had. I won. And there was leftover tri-tip.

I will go one further and I am loving this post here...

If the brisket you have been exposed to looks like this.. and I know it doesn't because you said flats...

then you are not judging the right cut to represent brisket as a whole... skip to 2:38

YouTube - &#x202a;Pitmaster T&#39;s Quickies - Things I Love and Adore&#x202c;&rlm;

Now in your defense there are people I have met who HATE well done meat... hate it... hate burgers, steak, fajitas, pot roast or anything that has lost its redness.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #185
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I've skimmed over it. Apparently someone has a beef with something? Is there a point to it? Someone get rubbed the wrong way? Maybe we should give it a rest, but of course any attempt to do that will most likely be foiled.
Yeah, there is a point to this thread. It was clearly stated in the OP, you must have skimmed over it

Quote:

That's pretty funny right there, I would think many would argue that opinion
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Last edited by Groundhog66; 07-09-2011 at 05:43 PM..
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #186
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

^^^^^ Catfood!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #187
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I've skimmed over it. Apparently someone has a beef with something? Is there a point to it? Someone get rubbed the wrong way? Maybe we should give it a rest, but of course any attempt to do that will most likely be foiled.

: becky:

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #188
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Hey G66...you still hanging onto that Wagyu brisket I left over there?

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #189
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeafBBQ View Post
Hey G66...you still hanging onto that Wagyu brisket I left over there?

Yes, do you still have the meat grinder?
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #190
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
Yes, do you still have the meat grinder?
Why yes. Question: Will the planet rotate backwards if we grind it and mix it 50/50 with some Tri Tip? Or would that be ruining the Tri Tip?

Either way, I'm up for some burgers.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #191
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Why yes. Question: Will the planet rotate backwards if we grind it and mix it 50/50 with some Tri Tip? Or would that be ruining the Tri Tip?

Either way, I'm up for some burgers.
I personally wouldn't waste perfectly good tri-tip, but I think tomorrow is a great day for some Wagyu burgers
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 07-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #192
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I personally wouldn't waste perfectly good tri-tip, but I think tomorrow is a great day for some Wagyu burgers
I'm down. It will be a nano-bash then...Think we can get any other Brethren in on the debauchery?

Old 07-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #193
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I'm down. It will be a nano-bash then...Think we can get any other Brethren in on the debauchery?

Not sure anyone else would want to be associated with such blasphemy
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 07-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #194
SteveT
On the road to being a farker

I "LOVE" Brisket, ribs (both beef and pork), Tri-tips, Chicken (but must admit I do chicken on my Weber 22.5"), A good steak (also done on the Weber), and a good standing rib, though again, have only done them on the Weber, but may have to try smoking one....and Turkey done in the Weber.... I also love a lot of other meats done in both the smoker and Weber....so, I am most definitely a meatosaurus!!!!

SteveT

Old 07-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #195
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Not sure anyone else would want to be associated with such blasphemy
I'm sure I can get my butcher to grind up a Porterhouse for me. That would be to add some flavor to the brisket in a hamburger.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appreciation threads