MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #61
Zing
On the road to being a farker

I grew up in California, and have eaten my fair share of Tri-Tip. It is good stuff....But I like a good brisket better. The depth of flavor in a well smoked brisket just suits me, and is something Tri-Tip can't compare with.
I will still make Tri-Tip when the mood hits me, but most of the time when I am looking to cook beef that's best medium rare, I will go with a good thick Ribeye.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #62
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing View Post
I will still make Tri-Tip when the mood hits me, but most of the time when I am looking to cook beef that's best medium rare, I will go with a good thick Ribeye.
Ah, my favorite. But still, not a brisket.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #63
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakPit View Post
Why all of the California bashing? I've gotta chime in - name a beef cut that is worse than brisket...No other cut chews up more fuel, time and rub to come out only marginal. I cook them cuz I have to - not cuz I want to. Almost every other cut is both more flavorful and easier to prepare. This is not a regional thing to me, it is generally accepted that brisket is a low grade cut of meat. And the idea to cook something for its "Fat" is interesting, Why not just get a lump of lard and season it up?

Please give me any other cut from the cow...especially a nice plump Tri Tip even with all the fat left on...still better in my mind.

A respectful .02 to those who love brisket, just not my preference.

Well said...
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #64
Still Smokin
Full Fledged Farker

I am not a big fan of Brisket either, but on occasion have had some that would blow your mind.

Going to TX for 10 days, I will seek out some while there. Any recomendatioons in the Dallas Ft Worth area or between Dallas & Belton?
Still Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #65
rxcellentq

pig fat rules! If I have to eat smoked beef give me a big fat rib with burnt ends a close second. As for the flat, slice it up and give it to the judges.
rxcellentq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #66
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I wondered what the big deal about brisket was too, until I farking NAILED my 4th attempt. A select 10lb packer that was on my drum for 14 hours followed by a cooler for 5 hours. I slept for 6 hours through the night too. I didn't inject it, just a simple dry rub and low and slow heat. It was the best meat of the shindig ( which included spares and pulled pork) and it was "nirvana". The flavor imparted into those 10 glorious lbs of beef was unlike that of any steak or other beef cut I've ever eaten. If I spend the rest of my life chasing that flavor down again than so be it. Long live brisket!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #67
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

i don't like fish, yuck. but i'll take a lobster and steamers any day of the week.
i love brisket, my peeps go bonkers over it. but like someone said, to each their own.
that's what makes us all so special - we all are different with various likes/dislikes. I'll have to give a tri-tip a shot.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #68
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Tim (Groundhog) has had an excellent brisket, R2Egg2Q and Phat Matt's both cook excellent briskets. He just doesn't like em as much as other cuts. I can see that. /My preference is for sliced point, but, I will always take good brisket fresh from the cooker. Tim also eats brisket without pickle and raw onions, with utensils off of plates, so, what does he really understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
Yes, John's was pretty much spot on.
Whew! I was starting to question my brisket!

Admittedly, I prefer the point over the flat.

Tim - if you don't want the wagyu, I can trade you a couple pounds of hamburger for it and save you the trouble of grinding it.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #69
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I like to cook Brisket occasionally.... for the challenge. When done perfectly, the flat is OK and the Point is awesome. But if you set it next to a properly cooked tri-tip, the flavor on the tri-tip just blows away the brisket.

The interesting thing is that with a brisket you need to rub, inject, blah, blah. The tri-tip is just a little seasoning and BAM!

So, I know this thread was started by Groundhog, who always likes to throw controversy on the table, but in this case I can see where he is coming from. Kinda like the Brits who say Haggus is a delicacy, when in fact it is just the parts of meat that nobody else would eat

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #70
smellysockalarmclock

If it were easy; everyone would do it! Properly done Brisket needs to be tasted from point to flat! I have had tri tip, which is nothing more than a trimmed "Picanha" (very good by the way)". If i was after that i would go Rib eye. But to each there own!!!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #71
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I like to cook Brisket occasionally.... for the challenge. When done perfectly, the flat is OK and the Point is awesome. But if you set it next to a properly cooked tri-tip, the flavor on the tri-tip just blows away the brisket.

The interesting thing is that with a brisket you need to rub, inject, blah, blah. The tri-tip is just a little seasoning and BAM!

So, I know this thread was started by Groundhog, who always likes to throw controversy on the table, but in this case I can see where he is coming from. Kinda like the Brits who say Haggus is a delicacy, when in fact it is just the parts of meat that nobody else would eat

^^^or like country ham - which I and lots of folks from the Southeast love, but most other people think is horrible. More for me!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #72
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Egg2Q View Post
Whew! I was starting to question my brisket!

Admittedly, I prefer the point over the flat.

Tim - if you don't want the wagyu, I can trade you a couple pounds of hamburger for it and save you the trouble of grinding it.
I don't mind grinding it, but thanks for the offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post

So, I know this thread was started by Groundhog, who always likes to throw controversy on the table
Ummmm, what

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysockalarmclock View Post
If it were easy; everyone would do it!
Everyone DOES do it
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #73
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep, I gotta say I love the brisket. Brisket all the way. Salt and pepper, some garlic salt, chili powder. Perfection for me. Nothing against tri-tips or anything, but death on gasser grills to ALL CALIFORNIANS MWAHAHAHAHA! Nah I'm just funnin'. In the end my favorite food is ribs though. I'm just a Texan trying to pretend he's from the Carolinas. Sigh.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #74
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

Sliced flat, when done right, is very good. But the money dish from brisket is burnt ends. When done properly, it's one of the best meat dishes I've ever tasted.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #75
smellysockalarmclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
Everyone DOES do it
Improperly! Not that im any better, just sayin

Tags
appreciation threads