MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Ribeye Republic
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Score my Pork Box Please

Looking for a little advice. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pork 7 15.jpg (115.5 KB, 330 views)
LSG Insulated Cabinet - Big Red
Ribeye Republic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

My first thought when i looked at this is that it needs more shine. Either from sauce or a spritz of water or AJ.

I'd give it a 7 or 8. (I'm not a CBJ, just a cook)

Good entry. Better than some i started out with!

Old 07-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

First glance I'd give it an 8, as it appears a bit dry. Probably looks better in person, but the photo can be deceptive. Also, the coloration is inconsistent - parts look like char, while other parts are definitely not.

Interesting "loaf". Definitely larger than the typical MM. I'm assuming that there will be a bunch of fat in the slices, but that isn't taken into account in my "Appearance" score.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Ok I would give a 6 or 7. Was your slicing portion tough that you needed to slice so thin. Immediately that would be a concern of mine. The coloring isn't as appetizing as it could be and that will hurt you as well. The coloring in the meat and on the meat is off to me. It looks pale and a bit washed out like there was no time to "polish" it up after foiling. Give it a spritz with something from spring water to spray of vegetable oil something to give it a shine.

Now all this could be wrong due to poor coloring from the photo.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
DR
Take a breath!

I'm going 8 maybe 7 but more toward 8. It look appealing to me. I think a few more chunks on the side would make it look fuller and, as mentioned above, a bit more shine.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

The pieces at the rear of the box are attractive, but look a tick dry. The color on the sliced muscle is uneven, and the arrangement of those slices is not attractive to me. I would score this a 6/7, and fill out a comment card.

If those forward slices were fanned out to show off the cross section, I think your appearance score would improve.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

I would give this a 6. I don't like the arrangement of the slices or whatever you call the other pieces. sliced chunks?

Old 07-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Man you cook types are hard on a guy. I'm in for a solid 8! I'm hopin for all kinds of flavor on that crusty slice. More chunks and some moisture and I'll go 9.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Man you cook types are hard on a guy. I'm in for a solid 8! I'm hopin for all kinds of flavor on that crusty slice. More chunks and some moisture and I'll go 9.
Ed
This is the man to listen to. He is right your fellow cooks are going to critique it like its their own cook and many are never fully satisfied with their cooks. So we will always be a point or two low. As you see Ed felt it an 8 while the low score from cooks was a 6.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #10
DR
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Ed
Totally agree.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

6 leaning to 5. Thin slices indicate that it will be a good chew. There are a few pieces?? on top but what are they? There is no pulled in the box so it was a tad underdone. I eat with my eyes first and that is not that appealing to my eye.

My only thought go back to my roots in NC and it was normally said if you can slice it, it ain't done.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
J&B'sBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

That loaf of pork is HUGE!!! I'm with Tom, I can't assess tenderness because it is just a picture, but I would fear there would be a tad too much fat in that heap of meat because it is certainly not just the MM that is sliced; you have the MM and other surrounding muscles that are all connected via fat and other stuff...could hit you on tenderness.

As for the appearance, my eye is drawn to the discoloration on the MM, and the bland appearance of the chunks. I would try to mask some of that some. I'm not a fan of the layout, but that is my personal opinion. I would give this a 7.
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Limo Jr. & 125 Water Cooker[/URL]
Proudly Supported By:
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Smokers & Trailers[/URL]
[URL="http://www.swampboys.com/wordpress/"]Swamp Boys BBQ Sauces and Rubs[/URL]
[URL="https://carolinacookwood.com"]Carolina Cookwood[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #13
Schooly D
Knows what a fatty is.

Why do you need to put so much meat in that box? The loaf looks like a full roast - appearance score from me would come from getting to peek what the middle of the slice looks like as well as the outside. With 12 slices plus the slices in the back (which are a little uneven) that's too much food, so much that it becomes unappetizing.

I'd score that box likely a 6/7.
Schooly D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #14
DR
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
6 leaning to 5. Thin slices indicate that it will be a good chew. There are a few pieces?? on top but what are they? There is no pulled in the box so it was a tad underdone. I eat with my eyes first and that is not that appealing to my eye.

My only thought go back to my roots in NC and it was normally said if you can slice it, it ain't done.
This is one thing that is wrong with judges. you can't judge appearance on YOUR ASSUMPTIONS. You can't say that since there is no pulled in the box so its a tad bit underdone. Thats complete BS!! You are only judging on visual appearance and not ASSUMPTIONS. If you can slice it, it ain't done???? Seriously??? You can't judge something that is NOT in the box or what you assume the taste or tenderness will may or may not be. The appearance scores are for APPEARANCE only and not assumptions or expectations.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #15
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

I personally have never seen an intact external muscle of a pork butt that large. Based on the box size (probably the standard 8 X that chunk of pork is 4 inches by 7 inches in size and sliced very thin. This is not an appealing presentation because of experience in cooking and judging. I graded it down, not because of what was not in there, but what was in there, which is not appealing to me.

Heck, being from Texas, you should know why they require the thickness of brisket slices to be the size of a number 2 pencil.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote