MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 AM   #46
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Tried them, won't again.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #47
Roast Beast
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
I find Duroc ribs needs cooked a little different than commodity ribs......
They might want to consider sending along instructions with the ribs, if they want to expand their customer base beyond those "in the know."

I'm giving the remaining few of my racks away to a buddy who wants them because they're all-natural/no hormones or antibiotics added, and he makes some sort of healthy bone broth with the leftover bones from that kind of meat.

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum x ?
Hunsaker Drum
KCBS CBJ

[B]ROAST BEAST BBQ on [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ROASTBEASTBBQ"]Facebook[/URL] and [URL="https://www.instagram.com/roastbeastbbq/?hl=en"]Instagram[/b][/URL][/FONT]
Roast Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #48
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidawg View Post
They might want to consider sending along instructions with the ribs, if they want to expand their customer base beyond those "in the know."

I'm giving the remaining few of my racks away to a buddy who wants them because they're all-natural/no hormones or antibiotics added, and he makes some sort of healthy bone broth with the leftover bones from that kind of meat.
I'd doubt a supplier would know chit about competition BBQ or how to cook it.
Now if a fellow cook was to bring me a Margarita on Friday evening and ask for a few pointers, heck I've been known to be friendly. As far as telling the whole country via forum what I may have learned from cooking a season with them, I'm not that friendly.

I've placed 2nd, 4th, 5th in the last three contests with Duroc ribs, sure wish I was your buddy.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #49
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

I have cooked them a couple different ways and they are just something I am not comfortable with.

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #50
Roast Beast
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I'd doubt a supplier would know chit about competition BBQ or how to cook it.
Now if a fellow cook was to bring me a Margarita on Friday evening and ask for a few pointers, heck I've been known to be friendly. As far as telling the whole country via forum what I may have learned from cooking a season with them, I'm not that friendly.

I've placed 2nd, 4th, 5th in the last three contests with Duroc ribs, sure wish I was your buddy.
If the ribs wouldn't be thawed and the margarita melted by the time they made it to Missouri, I'd be glad to share both!

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum x ?
Hunsaker Drum
KCBS CBJ

[B]ROAST BEAST BBQ on [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ROASTBEASTBBQ"]Facebook[/URL] and [URL="https://www.instagram.com/roastbeastbbq/?hl=en"]Instagram[/b][/URL][/FONT]
Roast Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #51
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogphin View Post
I have cooked them a couple different ways and they are just something I am not comfortable with.
The biggest problem that I had with them and had to learn to over come was the back of the bones blowing out of the meat.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #52
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
The biggest problem that I had with them and had to learn to over come was the back of the bones blowing out of the meat.
Yes, this last cook I cooked them at a lot lower temp to help prevent that. I think if I had a source where I could pick them out for myself they "might" be something I could use. However having to mail order them and "hope" I get good ones is not worth the price/risk. I also didn't notice that much of a noticeable different in flavor. That is the thing about BBQ what works for one guy doesn't mean it will work for the next.

1 UDS
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ

Old 05-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #53
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogphin View Post
Yes, this last cook I cooked them at a lot lower temp to help prevent that. I think if I had a source where I could pick them out for myself they "might" be something I could use. However having to mail order them and "hope" I get good ones is not worth the price/risk. I also didn't notice that much of a noticeable different in flavor. That is the thing about BBQ what works for one guy doesn't mean it will work for the next.
I can buy Farmland Duroc by the case from a local butcher,3.79/lb. I resale my rejects, usually only 2 in a case of 10 to a buddy for $10/rack.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #54
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I can buy Farmland Duroc by the case from a local butcher,3.79/lb. I resale my rejects, usually only 2 in a case of 10 to a buddy for $10/rack.
Nice!

1 UDS
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ

Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #55
add1212
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right on Q View Post
Thinking about pulling the trigger on an 8 pack of St louis ribs. With the brethren discount, they are about 5-10% more $$ than Kroger ribs. For Duroc pork i think it's worth a shot. Especially seeing that they are producing a more consistent product now.

These kind of discussions are why i love this site
How do you get the brethren discount? I'm new to the site and couldn't find any info on it.
add1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #56
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by add1212 View Post
How do you get the brethren discount? I'm new to the site and couldn't find any info on it.
I mistyped. I meant to say KCBS discount. If you are a member you get 10% off an order.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #57
add1212
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right on Q View Post
I mistyped. I meant to say KCBS discount. If you are a member you get 10% off an order.
Thanks for the reply.
add1212 is offline   Reply With Quote