• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question for Akorn owners

bacowboy

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I have had my Akorn for about two years and love it but always have a problem with opening the top damper after it has sat for a few days closed. Tonight I was getting it ready for tomorrows cook and could not get it to open. I tried heating it, brushing the grease off, and tapping it with a rubber mallet with no success. I have never had any problems like this with my WSM or performer. Any suggestions?

FYI after jacking with for about 20 minutes I started tapping the knob/handle and it opened alright but I'm minus the knob because the plastic and the cast broke right off.

I've never had that problem. Do you have the black damper?

Yes its the black cast. I am on my second one. The first one did the same thing and had to but another. Guess I'll be calling chargriller Monday. I thought about spaying the inside of the damper with easy off oven spray.

Heat it up before trying to open it. A piece of machinery that came from the factory not needing to be hit with a mallet, still doesn't. This ones on you IMHO

Heat it up before trying to open it. A piece of machinery that came from the factory not needing to be hit with a mallet, still doesn't. This ones on you IMHO

I did heat it up first but it wouldn't budge so I tried tapping it with a rubber mallet with no success.

Mine was also stuck. I sprayed some greased lightening on it and was able to slowly start moving the handle back and forth. I applied a little more greased lightening and it now slides open each time with ease.

I was wondering if anyone had tried to use a Terracotta Saucer as a diffuser? Looks like you could also use it as a diffuser/water pan. Any thoughts? I am new to this and and I am glad I found this site.

My Akorn top vent will do this in cold weather. I occasionally give it a shot of cooking spray and have no problems.

I was wondering if anyone had tried to use a Terracotta Saucer as a diffuser? Looks like you could also use it as a diffuser/water pan. Any thoughts? I am new to this and and I am glad I found this site.

Use the search bar at the bottom of page or start a new thread.

To the OP, loosen up the nut a little. It doesn't(nor should it) need to be that tight of a fit between the two cast pieces. Especially not so tight as you have to beat it with a hammer!

Back