logo

Drying habanero's

sfisch

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well my potted habanero plant has pretty much crapped out but there are about 50 orange peppers still on the plant. I picked some about 6 wks ago and put them on some paper towel in the kitchen but they just got kind of mushy and are turning black.
Whats the best way to dry the ones I have left on the plants so I can grind them up in the coffee grinder.
Thanks
Scott

This is probably (HOPEfully) a dumb question, but you do only grind peppers with that grinder, right Scott?? :D

If you want expert advise, send a pm to Mark. Then post what he tells you to do.

I dry mine in the airing cupboard.

I tie them in bunches on lengths of string and just hang them off the bottom shelf by the tank.

First off all, you should have brought the whole plant inside before the first hard freeze. Pepper plants are perennials, like trees. If the peppers are still bright orange it probably means they dried on the vine. Just finish drying what you have on the lowest setting in your oven untill they are no longer pliable.
If the peppers on the vine are NOT still bright orange, that means they have frozen on the vine. When you cut them open they will be mushy and there will be a lot of liquid because the cell walls have ruptured releasing the moisture. Unless its stayed below freezing there (which I doubt) your peppers still on the vine are in the process of decomposing (rotting).

Actually, it sounds like the peppers you brought in that turned brown were already frozen too. Thus, they rotted instead of dried.

If you do have salvagable peppers, once they are dried to a crisp, put them in a heavy duty freezer bag and crush them well with a rolling pin. Beware of the dust, Then just fill up empty spice jars.

Mark;
The peppers I have in the house came in well before the first frost and the plant that the ones are still on was put in the garage before the first frost came to protect them. The ones on the plant are bright orange and quite hard, I just didn't want to pick them and put them in the house to air dry and have them rot like the others are doing.
So if I understand you right, just pick the ones off the plant and put them in the oven on the lowest setting until they get really dry or crisp and then grind them up?
I appreciate the help.
Thanks
Scott

Yeah, the oven. I personally wouldnt bother spending 8 hours (or more) smoke drying that small a batch. OTOH, Last Wednesday night I did smoke-dry a couple of trays of hot peppers while the turkey and pork tenderloins were smoking. So you could do something like that. But its so easy to go from non-pliable to char in a smoker that I actually prefer to finish-off in the oven. Be warned, anyone else in the house at the time might think they're being sprayed with mace.

Back