• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Turkey Brine

NS Mike D

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does smoking turkey require a less saline brine solution.

I made my usual brine - 2 gals liquid (including about 25& ice), 1 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar one day in advance.

I rubbed the bird under the skin with Plowboys Yardbird.

The brine is what I use to roast my turkeys using an herb butter rub.

I cooked with royal oak and cherry 275- 300 for four hours.

It was a little too salty for my taste.

Does the lower longer cook concentrate the brine?

Chicken I've found, brines in 2-3 hours.
Turkey I do overnight, but with chicken it's too long for me. Unless I'm doing a buttermilk brine.
So it sounds like too long in the brine to me.

FYI, I also do 1cup salt, 1cup sugar, plus whatever else, per gallon.
Does that sound about right to you chicken pros?

It wasn't the brine.

Was the bird already brined/enhanced (many are).

You have a 1/2 strength brine at best. A "normal" ratio is about 1 gal to one cup of table salt. Your ratio is 1 gal to 1/2 cup. Kosher salt by cup will be less salty then a cup of table salt.

FYI, I brine mine for 48 hours with no one commenting.

How about the rub, is that salty to you? How much, maybe you over rubbed it.

Check out my link below for more Brining info

What percent solution was it enhanced with? Sounds like that might be the issue. I try to stay at 2-3% enhanced at most if possible.

I brine for 24 hours w/ 1 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar per gallon

Did you rinse the brine off before you smoked it? I forgot to rinse some trout once and they came out salty.

I came into this thread all fired up ready to help my brethern NSMikeD and see that it's all been covered. Thanks everyone. Carry on.

I
You have a 1/2 strength brine at best. A "normal" ratio is about 1 gal to one cup of table salt. Your ratio is 1 gal to 1/2 cup. Kosher salt by cup will be less salty then a cup of table salt.

I agree... per gallon, I use 1 cup kosher or sea salt and 1 cup of light brown sugar (I bring the water to a rolling boil before stirring in the sugar and salt....)

No guru, but have been smoking fer years and I always brine fish or fowl, before smoking.... That's were you can get creative:heh:

Back