MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #166
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykendall View Post
Glad I opened this thread. Outstanding as always - gotta love the hanging pig's arse in flames I'd love to get my hands on a recipe for those cowgirl pintos - pretty please?
tk, this is how I make the beans...

I sort, then soak dried pintos in cool water overnight, drain and add fresh water to cover.
Let them simmer on low all day..
Then about half way through I add smoked meat (any kind will do), onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1 bay leaf, and a couple pinches of oregano and thyme, kosher salt and cracked black pepper.......
I add the salt after the beans have become tender.

Made a skillet of jalapeno cornbread, with minced onion, whole corn and chopped jalapenos.....

The pintos with jalapeno cornbread...

I like them spicy.. with either lots of red pepper flakes or minced jalapenos.

... the flaming pig hind end was kinda interesting.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #167
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasePig View Post
If you get a yearning for controversy just try and get Donnie and Hugh discussing what REAL BBQ is sometime. That should take care of that...
I heard pork is the only BBQ.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #168
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Wow...just got done reading this thread...sounds like I've been outta the loop for the last 24 hours!
Jeanie...what a spread! You did a spectacular job on the buried pig! My bucket list has just gotten bigger
I remember whole hog pit roasts when I was a kid...an apple in the mouth and carrots shoved up the yo-ho.... Never had the gall to eat one of them carrots though

Again...great job and keep that pron a coming... We can all learn so much from you!
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #169
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

more food pron!
that'll fix anything!
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #170
NorthwestBBQ

I'm loving it.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #171
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

There's not much more I can add that hasn't been said, but Jeanie, your posts are great and I love your pictorials!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #172
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks like an Awesome cook and a good time.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #173
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke & Beers View Post
Wow...just got done reading this thread...sounds like I've been outta the loop for the last 24 hours!
Jeanie...what a spread! You did a spectacular job on the buried pig! My bucket list has just gotten bigger
I remember whole hog pit roasts when I was a kid...an apple in the mouth and carrots shoved up the yo-ho.... Never had the gall to eat one of them carrots though

Again...great job and keep that pron a coming... We can all learn so much from you!
Hell, I won't eat the APPLE... I darn sure ain't gonna eat nothing that's been shoved in the yo-ho...

Old 12-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #174
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok... I've been away for a while, and I got to this thread rather late, but better late than never! Cowgirl you do some dang cool stuff!!!! That really looks like some fun..I just know that I would feel uncomfortable about the fire dying out too early. Guess that would change after I did it a couple of times. What kind of distance does there need to be between the coals and meat?

Firecrackerjack
firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #175
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker jack View Post
Ok... I've been away for a while, and I got to this thread rather late, but better late than never! Cowgirl you do some dang cool stuff!!!! That really looks like some fun..I just know that I would feel uncomfortable about the fire dying out too early. Guess that would change after I did it a couple of times. What kind of distance does there need to be between the coals and meat?

Firecrackerjack
What cowgirl did is an ancient practice. It works like a charm I'm told.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #176
NewEnglandQ
Full Fledged Farker

Cowgirl - don't be offended, people question God because it seems too good to be true...
Traeger 075
Jenn Air Gasser
Grand Hall Smoker
Smith & Wesson Pellet Bullet
Fire Magic Built-in Charcoal Grill
NewEnglandQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #177
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Hey I was wondering. If you dug up the spot where you had the fire would you come up with homemade hardwood lump coal?

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #178
cowgirl

Thank you everybody, you're a good group of friends.

FirecrackerJack, you do have to make sure your hot coal bed is deep enough to last for the whole cook, also use a hardwood. I use hedge...
I like to keep the grate a few inches above the hot coals but you can lay the tin and wrapped pig right on top of the coals. The skin isn't edible but it protects the meat and keeps it moist. The wet burlap helps too.

Around here wood isn't that abundant so people use old hedgewood fence posts that have cured for years. When someone replaces miles and miles of fence the hedge posts are grabbed by country cooks like me. lol They are almost like petrified wood. They burn hot and long.

Skip, I cooked this pig in the same location as my last two. I didn't think to look for lump coal. I will check it out tomorrow when it's light enough. I haven't filled the hole in yet.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #179
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandQ View Post
Cowgirl - don't be offended, people question God because it seems too good to be true...
GOOD ONE! When I first saw this post, I thought it must be from last year and someone resurrected it since it was sooooo long. Excellent job as always Jeanie. I'm going to call the food channel and ask if they want to do a show with you.... never showing ur face. Maybe make you wear a helmet cam or something to watch you do all these wonderful things with your awesome toys and food. Love ya gurl....xoxox

Country Girls ROCK!
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Weber Genius Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #180
cowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke & Beers View Post

lol Shawn, I don't think I'd eat the carrot either. Thanks.