Easy Homemade Cold Smoke Generator with Pron

Very cool idea. 5+ hrs you say? How big of a sieve did you use? Sounds like something I need to try.

How did you ignite the sawdust? Did you use some outside source, or just throw a lighter to it till it light then blew it out and let it go? I am going to try this ASAP. I was going to go to the trouble to build a venturi cold smoker from a cocktail shaker, but considering how involved all those parts are to find I may just end up going with this if it keeps the temps super low.

With cold smoke, I'm guessing it doesn't matter much what kind of wood you use- pine, oak, etc??

With cold smoke, I'm guessing it doesn't matter much what kind of wood you use- pine, oak, etc??

I would never use pine in any of my smokers. It will leave a nasty taste on your food and in your smoker.
Pine wood contains benzene a known cancer producing agent.
Learned that in firefighters school. That is why we have to wear air packs when fighting scrap lumber fires.

Any hardwoods should be ok. I prefer hickory when doing cold smokes on cheese, sausage.

If you are not sure do not be afraid to ask questions here, we will assist you.

I just figured that since people always use sawdust, it must be woods like pine and cedar that are more often (correct me if I'm wrong) used in woodworking.

How did you ignite the sawdust? Did you use some outside source, or just throw a lighter to it till it light then blew it out and let it go? I am going to try this ASAP. I was going to go to the trouble to build a venturi cold smoker from a cocktail shaker, but considering how involved all those parts are to find I may just end up going with this if it keeps the temps super low.

Give it a whirl Mate, the sieve cost me a couple of quid!

To light it, I just hold it over a tealight candle for a minute or so then remove the tealight and let it smoulder.

I have found that draft is a big factor in using it....with the lower vents on the Excel20 open but the access doors shut I get ~5.5hrs out of it, with one of the access doors open I get about 3-4hrs (but it has been windy here).

I would never use pine in any of my smokers. It will leave a nasty taste on your food and in your smoker.
Pine wood contains benzene a known cancer producing agent.
Learned that in firefighters school. That is why we have to wear air packs when fighting scrap lumber fires.

Any hardwoods should be ok. I prefer hickory when doing cold smokes on cheese, sausage.

If you are not sure do not be afraid to ask questions here, we will assist you.

Yep, hard or most fruit woods for smoking...pine for making wardrobes etc!
My parents had a few huge pine trees that we took down and used as fuel on their chimenas (sp???) the soot and tar that was left behind on the inside was crazy....one of them even ignited from all of the tar - basically burning from the inside of the walls after the fire was put out. Mad.

I just figured that since people always use sawdust, it must be woods like pine and cedar that are more often (correct me if I'm wrong) used in woodworking.

Yep, most furniture is from pine. But a lot of furniture makers use oak for their high end pieces and use extraction tech. to remove the sawdust, so they can guarantee that it is 100% untreated oak, a few of the more savvy ones have discovered that what was a waste product to them is actually a good little income stream for them, especially with the recent increased awareness of the general public about good food isn't that hard to produce yourself!

The code of the west is when burning pine logs in wood stoves is you must clean your stove pipe every cord of pine wood you burn or you will burn your home/cabin to the ground. Pine tar is very very nasty!

The code of the west is when burning pine logs in wood stoves is you must clean your stove pipe every cord of pine wood you burn or you will burn your home/cabin to the ground. Pine tar is very very nasty!

Hot fires will eliminate this. Start off oak, when no white smoke burn your pine with 0 creosote.

Asus Transformer Tablet. TapatalkHD

Any ideas on how to source/make the sawdust?

One chunk of hickory. Then any kind of saw knife whatever? I can make a lot of sawdust very quickly with my chainsaw. Even if you have a cheap drywall hand saw and a chunk of hickory from a walmart bag, just start sawing on it haha.

Not a good ideal making sawdust with chain saw the dust will have chain oil in it

great idea - I just got this one at Kroger's

31EK451NPXL._SX450_.jpg

bit larger than the round ones and..
it's a rectangular one with feet... 13 3/4" x 9 1/4" and extendable handles to 22 " -- stainless steel.. for ~ $15..

I can even hang this one with the extendable handles on the rack supports of my vertical hot smoker

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=11951678

I got mine at Kroger's but they carry these at bb&beyond stores also ..

Back