MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Default bbq brick and mortar stores

What are some big ones around the country? Any national stores? I would think we have a need for this thats not being met.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Are you talking about fire bricks and refractory mortar in particular?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Are you talking about fire bricks and refractory mortar in particular?
He is talking about physical BBQ stores, not just online shopping.

BBQs Galore is one we have local. Things seemed overpriced the last time I went there...
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post

BBQs Galore is one we have local. Things seemed overpriced the last time I went there...
Yes physical bbq stores. With all the different dealers you would think it eould be ripe for a outdoor store to capitalize on bbq. Places like Ace, lowes, home depot etc.. all have a pretty bad selection. Than I see some people post local stores thst seem amazing. Just wondering if a good national store exists I dont know about

Old 10-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Academy Sports has about as good a selection as anywhere, but that is still pretty lacking. BBQ Galore might as well be called "overpriced grills and doesn't know anything about or stock anything BBQ."
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
joshcary
Full Fledged Farker

The answer to the question of a national chain is simple... no.

We are based in Wichita and do the bulk of our business in our brick and mortar location, but a fair bit online as well. It would take someone serious about the numbers (i.e. the bottom line) to run even a small chain of barbecue specialty shops. Retail is really hard, and since stores like ours don't sell necessities like shoes or electronics, we have to be very careful to make sure we train our staff to offer service end to end. This would include how to use the products, how to care for it so you'll have it for a lifetime, and what products to buy that fit their need without spending out of their budget.

The big payoff? It's a great business where we get to hang out with and help people who have the same passion we do!
joshcary is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Not a national chain, but you would be hard pressed to find a better store than The BBQ Equipment Store in Hampstead, MD. Top notch service, great products, and a Brethren to boot!

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Not one that I know of. I've been kicking around the idea of starting a local one here for a while. There's 2 that are well known, but I hate dealing with one of them and both are a 40+ minute drive from me. I'm just trying to figure out how to prioritize things and then try to make the $$ work.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post

I agree, I was a little disappointed.

To the OP, I think that the majority of the market is very well represented by the Home Depot's of the world. It is only the specialty (us crazies) section of the market that that is more elusive. I think many of the suppliers like Lang, Jambo Stumps ect would be hard pressed to fill an order for a nation wide chain store. For the most part the higher end BBQ market is a cottage industry.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
I agree, I was a little disappointed.

To the OP, I think that the majority of the market is very well represented by the Home Depot's of the world. It is only the specialty (us crazies) section of the market that that is more elusive. I think many of the suppliers like Lang, Jambo Stumps ect would be hard pressed to fill an order for a nation wide chain store. For the most part the higher end BBQ market is a cottage industry.
When it comes to the cookers, I agree. I think that you would have to stick with the Webers, BGE, Primo, etc. of the world for cookers to sell. However, if you get in a good area with lots of walk by traffic, etc. I think you could sell a ton of rubs and sauces.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
When it comes to the cookers, I agree. I think that you would have to stick with the Webers, BGE, Primo, etc. of the world for cookers to sell. However, if you get in a good area with lots of walk by traffic, etc. I think you could sell a ton of rubs and sauces.
idk, your average grocery store usually has half an isle of spices, rubs and marinades. The majority of the people out there have plenty of options. If you take a look at other countries it crazy how many options we have.

I think the Plowboys and Oakridges of the world will eventually get into the average grocery store if enough people are exposed to them. That is the usual cycle of things.