MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

We did 40 racks for forty people at a metal works factory, nice sale.
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
I would say a minimum of 25, depending on size of the guests appetite and how much you want to impress them. I can eat 6 ribs myself easily but I over indulge at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
Guess I was wrong.
Thats what you get for guessing.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Boshizzle

OK, the cook went off very well. Some of the African Americans even gave me the highest of compliments by exclaiming that there was "no way a white guy cooked that BBQ."

OK, I'm officially Native American according to the Commonwealth of Virginia, but I will take the compliement as high praise.

Thanks, brethren for all your help! The cook raised money for the local food bank which is about as worthy a cause as I know of.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #19
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
OK, the cook went off very well. Some of the African Americans even gave me the highest of compliments by exclaiming that there was "no way a white guy cooked that BBQ."

OK, I'm officially Native American according to the Commonwealth of Virginia, but I will take the compliement as high praise.

Thanks, brethren for all your help! The cook raised money for the local food bank which is about as worthy a cause as I know of.
Congrats on the successful event Bo, we all knew you were gonna put out some good Q, the real question is did you have enough ribs! :)

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Congrats on the successful event Bo, we all knew you were gonna put out some good Q, the real question is did you have enough ribs! :)
Yep, ribs worked out just about perfectly.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
Ribs only 1/2 rack per person, ribs and another protein 3 ribs per person, same if you have sides, people will still take more protein than sides. You should have in your contract what you plan on serving so if you come up short there are no arguments.

Best advice yet..... 1/2 rack per person unless complimented by another meat item.

You know if you come up short they will not look to the cheapskate for running out of food, they will look toward the caterer as not properly estimating the food.

In food service, no matter what - you will always be the bad guy at someone else's expense.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Winning all the way around!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #23
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:

Awesome! I must admit, on of my personal favorite moments in BBQ was when I received a compliment much like yours. It's one thing to get great reviews from folks who rarely if ever eat BBQ and rarely if ever get really good BBQ and/or are half starving to death before they eat and/or about as drunk as no tomorrow... It's another thing to get great reviews from those who reallly KNOW BBQ. You did it bro!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Thanks, brethren. There will be lots of sides as well as 48 BBQ chicken thighs and 32 quarts of chili. The person paying the bill bought a case of spares from BJs which was 12 racks. So, that's all they will be getting but with everything else I think it will be plenty.
I would suggest that you re-think using meat someone else bought. If I didn't buy it I don't serve it. Buying, transporting and storing meat until cooked is a high risk endeavor. What most people can tolerate by way of slightly-off meat will be a big problem to people with compromised immune systems like the elderly and young.

I'm being picky but I am in CA and everyone wants to sue.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkQPine View Post
I would suggest that you re-think using meat someone else bought. If I didn't buy it I don't serve it. Buying, transporting and storing meat until cooked is a high risk endeavor. What most people can tolerate by way of slightly-off meat will be a big problem to people with compromised immune systems like the elderly and young.

Thanks, bro, and I agree with you. But, in this case, I was at BJ's with him and I picked out the meat. He just paid the bill before we left.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #26
jacksedona
Take a breath!

i recommend half a rack per person with three big sides-like Cole slaw potato salad and Bbq beans. i can easily eat two racks of ribs if the are trimmed.
I recommend only getting untrimmed ribs they are loaded with fat-taste best and taste of fat will satisfy most eaters-never get untrimmed ribs.

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Last edited by jacksedona; 01-14-2013 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: typo
jacksedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #27
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkQPine View Post

Thats also a nice thing about pork. Your nose will let you know if you have a problem B-4 the rub even hits the meat.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Thats also a nice thing about pork. Your nose will let you know if you have a problem B-4 the rub even hits the meat.
Boy is that the truth. I opened a case of butts to put on the smoker for an overnight cook and phew, they were bad. Good thing I was doing this ahead and re-heating because first thing in the morning I was at the meat supplier getting another case. I would have been out of luck if I hadn't decided to cook ahead. The meat supplier told me that they sell only 10% bone-in and this was in cooler too long even though it was ok date wise. Next time I'll check dates and open a cyrovac before I leave.