Where to find Brunswick Stew

Beast Drinker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Okay guys I am located in Southeastern Virginia, In Va Beach, I have lived here about 4 years of which I may or may not have been here about half the time. Today the cool fall air had me thinking, it's gotta be close to time for Brunswick Stew. The closest thing I have found on the web was in Yorktown and that's a little bit of a haul. There has got to be a church or a fire house closer that does Brunswick Stew. I think? anybody know of any? My web searches don't seem to be turning up anything. I know there are a lot of non Virginians in this area (like me) so maybe I will have to drive a little bit. Thanks for any help.

Check this thread for an authentic Old Virginia Brunswick Stew recipe -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144183

Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Williamsburg has OK Brunswick stew.

If you pm me your email addy, I will email you when the Proclamation Stew Crew is doing a charity cook near you. The stew they cook is delicious and is an authentic VA stew.

Okay guys I am located in Southeastern Virginia, In Va Beach, I have lived here about 4 years of which I may or may not have been here about half the time. Today the cool fall air had me thinking, it's gotta be close to time for Brunswick Stew. The closest thing I have found on the web was in Yorktown and that's a little bit of a haul. There has got to be a church or a fire house closer that does Brunswick Stew. I think? anybody know of any? My web searches don't seem to be turning up anything. I know there are a lot of non Virginians in this area (like me) so maybe I will have to drive a little bit. Thanks for any help.
Back in the Day when I lived on E 25th St about 2 blocks west of the sand ( house is long ago tore down) there weren't no good BBQ in the tide water area that was fit for man except for what I cranked out on an Old Smoky, a little roadside shack out the Swamp road near Deep Creek and a little place over in Portsmouth. That was back in '87 I wish you good luck. Maybe Awwa will chime in he lives in your hood.

Hmmmm....that's a good question. I'm in Elizabeth city, but I grew up in Chesapeake and spent most of my working life in Va.bch, Norfolk, etc., and I don't have an answer. (I use Boshizzles recipe.) hahaha.

Malbons, on General booth has good Q and beans. I'm not sure about Brunswick stew. (Yes, Malbons gas station, convenience store and car wash has BBQ in the back of the store.)

EDIT: Just checked their menu and don't see any. Sorry.
http://malbonbrothersbbq.com/lunch-dinner/1747854

I found a Methodist Church in Landstown that sells it. I might give that a shot. I never mind a recipe, I like Saiko's Georgia Brunsick Stew recipe) but hey I live in Virginia. I just figured hey there's gotta be a decent cause to help out this fall, like a Church, High School Band, Fire and Rescue etc.

Hmmmm....that's a good question. I'm in Elizabeth city, but I grew up in Chesapeake and spent most of my working life in Va.bch, Norfolk, etc., and I don't have an answer. (I use Boshizzles recipe.) hahaha.

Malbons, on General booth has good Q and beans. I'm not sure about Brunswick stew. (Yes, Malbons gas station, convenience store and car wash has BBQ in the back of the store.)

EDIT: Just checked their menu and don't see any. Sorry.
http://malbonbrothersbbq.com/lunch-dinner/1747854

I heard Blackwater Trading Post has good Q, haven't tried it. heard it from a guy that kills my Q when I cook it for him.

Last edited:
I found a Methodist Church in Landstown that sells it. I might give that a shot. I never mind a recipe, I like Saiko's Georgia Brunsick Stew recipe) but hey I live in Virginia. I just figured hey there's gotta be a decent cause to help out this fall, like a Church, High School Band, Fire and Rescue etc.

Agreed. If you find it, let us know. I don't mind a little drive, for a good cause and some good stew.

Down here, it seems like every fund raiser is a BBQ plate. Not that I'm complaining about that, but I would like to find some good Brunswick stew, also.

Brunswick Stew Cooks coming up in October in Williamsburg, VA. Both of these cooks will be done using the very authentic Proclamation Stew Crew Virginia Brunswick Stew recipe. If you are interested, contact them early on as they may require pre-orders. Buy some extra for the freezer too.

Friday, October 11 at Christ Community Church in Toano, Virginia. The contact is pastor Andrew.

Christ Community Church
9001 Richmond Road West
Toano, VA 23168
757-566-8364

The Stew on Oct 18th will be cooked by Larry Paffrath at First Simple Church located 16401 Chickahominy Bluff. Details available from Larry at 757-206-6415.

First Simple Church
16401 Chickahominy Bluff Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23185

And how could we forget Pollard's Chicken. They have it listed in their menu. I have never had it, but their chicken is great, so the stew probably is too.

http://pollardschicken.com/index.ph...th=1_4&zenid=fce0d6c72690b15b07c2d40648195715
You just had to go there didn't YA.
smilie-finger.jpg
I was a regular that bird is like Crack.

I suspect it is PROBABLY Mrs Fearnow's canned Stew which ain't bad but I can get me a can for less money. My guess is based on how much their green beans taste like Glory brand beens which ain't bad heck I buy them for the pantry but, you know what I mean.

I would definitely look for a church or fire department over a restaurant for stew. Most restaurant stews I have had seem to be a way to use up unsold menu product and not a stew made to be excellent in it's own right.

Not that I've been thinking about Brunswick stew, because of this thread, but last night I found out that the food lion store near me does not carry Mrs Fearnow's canned Stew.......and now I'm sitting here thinking......I could be to the Pollards in great bridge in just under an hour.

Hmmmmmm.........:loco:

Not that I've been thinking about Brunswick stew, because of this thread, but last night I found out that the food lion store near me does not carry Mrs Fearnow's canned Stew.......and now I'm sitting here thinking......I could be to the Pollards in great bridge in just under an hour.

Hmmmmmm.........:loco:

I keep thinkin' about driving to that fellow Brethren's church in a few days but man that would be a expensive quart of stew... Guess I better find some firewood and grab bo shizzles recipe. Debating about goin' to Ollies and buying the biggest cheap stock pot on the shelf and makin' a bucket of it.

Back