logo

Finally a score!

GREAT score - to bad it issn't red :grin: - a word of advice - make no mods until you use it. If it holds 250F then it is perfect. You need a heat deflector - get a weber charcoal grate for a 22" kettle and a 16" cheap pizza pan. put the grate on the 3 ledges above the fire pit and the pizza pan on the grate. Or instead of the pizza pan get this guy from Academy and join up at kamadoguru.com :clap2:

Thanks! I wasn't gonna mess with any mods until after a first low and slow attempt like you mentioned. I'll probably do a fatty (or 4) and see if I can get a good smoke ring in the process. I've read it can be hard to get a good smoke ring on a kamado.
As far as a heat deflector I was gonna get this:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009E8NATC?cache=5b6f8342073de97978f6cef277efe2b7&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1411842475&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1"]Char-Griller Kamado Kooker Smokin Stone:Amazon:patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31BMKZsm6yL.@@AMEPARAM@@31BMKZsm6yL[/ame]

Is there anything wrong with these? Price wise they seem on par with buying a charcoal grate and pizza stone.
Thanks for the help!

Nice Score!
Walmart is really flexible on price sometimes if its close out time. I always ask if purchasing stuff at end of season. Needed a bunch of Wood chip mulch this year. Was 3 bucks a bag. When Walmart started cleaning up the parking lot this year I asked the manager for a discount if I took all he had left...90 cents a bag for 3 pallets (150 bags)!

I do a lot of food for families of Veterans, LEO's and Fire Fighters at my American Legion post after funerals. Since it is always short notice my local Walmart will sell me meat and produce at huge discounts when it's for this purpose. They also give me the same deals when I am cooking for a charity or fundraiser event.

The Walmart here had one down to around $200. I had space issues and couldn't justify buying it right now (believe me, I tried) or else I would've jumped all over it. Nice score!

Nice score. The only mod that really should be done before you cook with it, is to seal the lower damper with high temp silicone. If I remember correctly, that was the biggest flaw of this cooker. Otherwise have fun with it and get a pizza stone. you will love it for that.

Nice!
The Walmarts here don't have acorns at all.
Never seen a BBQ on clearance at Walmart either.

Back