Hot wings

These photos are from a couple different cooks but all done the same way so I put them together to show you what I have been doing. This is simple and fast.

I call these "The Wing Of Fire"

First I trim and season with this.
IMG_2264_zps6f7573b5.jpg

Then I put them on my Fire Pit. You can cook them on just about anything, I just like cooking them in an open pit.
IMG_1779_zpse07ab855.jpg

While thats cooking I mix my sauce. I use equal parts of redhot, sriracha and half part chile garlic sauce. I eyeball those measurements and it comes out great every time.
IMG_2089_zps4dc1eb32.jpg

IMG_2543_zpsd0d750dd.jpg

They all get a quick bath in the sauce then put back on the grill for just a few minuets. This is what you end up with.
6d8662c8-3260-4e45-8174-76d24c899c1f_zpsb15acb12.jpg

You will need some napkins. These are not to hot but still have a small kick.
Your average spice guy will love them. I had someone call me last weekend and asked if they brought the chicken, would I make hot wings.

I will dip them in blu cheese dressing.

Wings today. Bought a package from Costco, $2.99/lb for sealed packs, local grocery had for $1/lb in an ad I saw.

Rinsed, pat dry, separate and discard the tips, and split the wing in half. I used a bit of my brisket rub (50/50 kosher salt/pepper + garlic powder)... It was a bit salty. Probably could skip the salt.

In the UDS for about an hour and half at 250° and then pulled the lid and started flipping the wings to crisp skin and basting in wing sauce for about 30 minutes. Temp with lid off was hot enough to sear.

image.jpg

Wings today also. Siracha, honey, salt, lime juice. Simmer then submerged wings in it after grilling the wings until crisp.

Silverfinger, I'll have to try what you did. Like those combinations.

I cut the tips, oil, rub, smoke at 250 for 2 hours, fry at 350 for 2 minutes, lightly sprinkle with rub and place in a small aluminum pan with a mixture of BBQ sauce in the bottom then zig zag white sauce to the top of them real quick with a squirt bottle. Awesome.

I always do mine on the UDS. Works best if I'm only loading one batch of wings on the smoker. Start them slow (about 275) then crisp them up at finish at 400. Allow close to 2 hrs. Another option is to use a dry rub when smoking. That will usually crisp up the skin.

I made 40 pounds of hot wings for my son's grad party. They were a complete success. These were the best wings many of the guests have had.
I used whole wings,let them soak in franks red hot overnight. then when I put them on the smoker, I gave them a heavy dusting on cajun seasoning. Smoked them at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. Very spicy and not messy to eat. The skin was crispy.
image_zpsc945e9b4.jpg

image_zps3ba57210.jpg

image_zps7f338c24.jpg

Back