PID Wiring

WirelessG

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi guys. 1st Post. I've searched and searched, trying to find out how to wire a PID to run a fan for my smoker. I have the PID powered, have set the target temp, and the probe is reading ambient temperature. As far as wiring the SSR and fan, I am at a a loss. I do not plan on having a switch, just a male end of a power chord to plug in. I've attached two pdfs. "PID Diagram" shows how the power cord, PID, and probe are wired along with my half-baked guess at the fan and the SSR. "PID Components is the same thing, but with the wiring removed in case someone wanted to mark up a clean version. I am terrible - terrible with electricity. Any help would be very appreciated. Below are hyperlinks to each of the competences in case that is of any interest. The fan is rated for 35CFM with a high/medium/low. The operating specs on the fan are 3-7V DC, 0.2A, 1.05W.

PID
SSR
TC
FAN

Attachments

• PID Diagram.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • PID Components.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
The model mypin TA4-RNR doesn't work with a SSR. It has only an internal switching relay for terminals 3 & 4. If you want to use a solid state relay you will need a model TA4-SSR or model TA4-SNR which sends a low voltage signal to terminals 3 & 4 to switch the SSR. That said the model RNR should work fine by itself for what you are trying to do, switch a low wattage fan off and on. You will need a 120VAC to 5VDC power supply to run the USB fan. Terminals 3 & 4 will be the relay switch to open and close the 5VDC output power to the fan. You may have to change a pid setting to make it act as just an on and off controller and not pulse the output to the fan if it is switching on and off to many times as it approaches your set temp. I will have to lookup my instructions on that setting.

Okay, that makes sense. I think I have a path forward. Thanks!

The model mypin TA4-RNR doesn't work with a SSR. It has only an internal switching relay for terminals 3 & 4. If you want to use a solid state relay you will need a model TA4-SSR or model TA4-SNR which sends a low voltage signal to terminals 3 & 4 to switch the SSR. That said the model RNR should work fine by itself for what you are trying to do, switch a low wattage fan off and on. You will need a 120VAC to 5VDC power supply to run the USB fan. Terminals 3 & 4 will be the relay switch to open and close the 5VDC output power to the fan. You may have to change a pid setting to make it act as just an on and off controller and not pulse the output to the fan if it is switching on and off to many times as it approaches your set temp. I will have to lookup my instructions on that setting.
Dang, that was a good answer. I thought for sure the OP would get crickets for a response given the technical level of the question. I am suitably impressed.

So here is what it will end up looking like. The 5 V DC power supply will connect to the main power source then off to the PID and Fan as shown by the orange lines. And I'll have to make sure the fan is spinning the right way so that it draws air rather than repels it.

Attachments

• PID Diagram R1.pdf
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 22

That's exactly what I was thinking, but he beat me to it :grin:

I was going to suggest another solution, but you seemed to have it solved.

Looks like you have the wiring figured out. I have attached the programming manual for this controller. If you want to change it to an off & on only controller look at the PID parameters section. Set the P range to OFF and it will be a simple thermostat switch operation. I have several of these that I use to operate gas valves on fryers and use them as a simple switch. Not sure what will work best on your fan setup but it is easy to change if it cycles too much with the normal PID settings.

Attachments

• MYPIN Controller Setup Manual.pdf
    362.6 KB · Views: 16
Thank you, sir! You've been very helpful. I'd like to suggest a sticky with the various wiring diagrams, component lists, etc, so that it can be used by people who need help; people like me. Does that make sense and is it possible to put one together? I can make neat/clean diagrams in Bluebeam (pdf app) if need be. They'd be similar to what I've already posted in this thread. If people can send me their sketches, I can put them in a consistent format. For someone who knows this stuff, it's pretty straight forward, but for the rest of us, it's a little tricky and it seems like everyone is doing it a different way. In some cases the differences are subtle an din other cases they are significant (home brewery controllers). If there was a sticky, one could simply make a list of what to buy and put together, presumably with little to no trouble.

Back