MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

Default My first bbq gig!

Well brothers... word has got around that my q is getting pretty good. We belong to a country club by our house (go ahead... snicker all youw want! I can take it) Anyway, we had a charity event for one of the members who has cancer and along with the gold tourney we had dinner and a silent auction. Some our friends got the idea while we were organizing the event to auction off a bbq for 8 put on by me... kinda an upscale bbq with paired wine and what not. I agreed and I got sold for $700 the other night and another couple asked if they could match it and get one too!

I'm going to keep it simple, but add some nice touches. I'm gong to do guryere stuffed fatties, pulled pork, and bb's. I want to offer a few choices of sauces and in an effort to kick it up a notch, I want to do a Raspberry Chipotle, a smoked onion, and a Bourbon Brown Sugar sauces.

Most people here in Florida like their ribs wet. I'm making 4 racks of ribs. Should I use a base sauce while in the smoker and allow them to add the specific sauces to their likeing when served (I'm not sure how that would work though), should I dedicate one rack for each sauce and have extra sauce on hand, or should I go with dry ribs and have them add the sauce as they wish?

Along with this, I'm making 7 cheese lobster mac & cheese, my signature cream of onion beer cheese soup, gilled pineapples and other good stuff.

It should be a nice dinner for them. We'll be serving and bartending and doing everything for them right in their own home.

Any advice you can give me would very much appreciated!
itschris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

Way to go!!
Cook the ribs dry and let them add the sauce.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would lightly coat the ribs on the last half hour. Kinda give a candy appearance.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Can we get the recipe for your signature cream of onion beer cheese soup?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Can we get the recipe for your signature cream of onion beer cheese soup?
ditto
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
big brother smoke

Good luck with these gigs, sounds like you have it under control!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

As requested... I've tweaked this soup over the last 3 years and I can tell you it's a crowd favorite. I'm not trying to brag, but everyone literally raves about it. Sometimes I leave out the beer and just use the entire amount of broth and it comes out just as good with just a little sweeter taste. I make it both ways pretty evenly.

Cream of Onion-Cheese Soup.doc

Old 09-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
I would lightly coat the ribs on the last half hour. Kinda give a candy appearance.

So basically dedicate one rack for each sauce? That's kinda what I was thinking only because I know a lot of people I talk to don't like adding sauce to dry ribs... it doesn't have the "cooked" feeling I guess. I like them both ways myself and find equal merit in both methods.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

OK, I want the 7 Cheese Lobster Mac & Cheese recipe please!!

I would either cut down the sauce to two types and do 2 racks of each, or pick one sauce and pair the wine to it. 4 choices for 8 people seems to be a bit over the top. If it were 80, then perhaps.
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Forney
is one Smokin' Farker

I hope you have a great time doing your cook. Thanks for the recipe!

Perry Lodge #185, F&AM ([I]Dean Gerber Award[/I])

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GO MEAT!![/FONT][/B][/I]
Forney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
kitch
Full Fledged Farker

don't forget the pr0n...lots of it...
SNPP
Barrel cut in half
and an barrel becoming an UDS
kitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
jestridge

Sounds like it be a great feast, a little fancy for me
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
buttrubbersbbq
On the road to being a farker

that great idea....sounds like something i could get into
thanks for soup recipe it sounds great.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #14
MayDay
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschris View Post
Well brothers... word has got around that my q is getting pretty good...
Congratulations! Word of mouth is the best advertising. Sounds like you know what you're doing. Good luck on the new endeavour, but don't quit that day job just yet!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

Well this is just for charity... it's certainly not something I could do for a living... not even on the side. It is a little fancy, but total, these people have donated $1400 so we gotta make it a bit upscale.

I gave it some more thought... I think I'm going to make 3 racks of ribs, and one sauce for each. Between everything else... 4 racks is way overkill. Thanks for the all the help guys. I'll certainly take pics.

I think I'll make the butts the night before, and trailer my smoker to their home in the morning and finish them there. I'll cooler them and immediately start the ribs. I think if I pull the butts around 195 instead of 205, that'll buy me some extra cooler time while ribs finish up. One time when I coolered for 6 hourse the meat was a bit mushy, but the other time, on the advice from some of you guys here, I pulled them early and they were perfect even after a long sit period while the ribs were smoking.

It should be fun. I think the actual date for the first dinner is Oct 18. I'm gonna do a run through next weekend. I'm still working on my raspberry chipolte sauce. So far, I havn't made anything that tastes better than what I've got out of the bottle from SAM's. I'm not opposed to that since I think it's actually pretty good, but I was hoping I could create something special. I'm still a little weak on my sauces. I can make a few good ones, but none that really blow your socks off. I'm gonna work on the smoked onion sauce this weekend just to toy around.

Thanks again guys!