Gas Grill suggestions

J

jane nair

I Need a new gas grill........ The one I presently have is junk. I'm on a budget so I'm really looking for something under $300. I've looked over the offerings at Lowes & I like some of them but really only have experience with the truly low end ones. I like the looks of the cast grates, do they last longer than the porcelin coated ones? what burners are best Help

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, don't waste your money on the cheap gas grills, you'll just have to replace it in 2-3 years!! If you are going to buy a gas grill save your money and buy a Weber, and not from the big box store either, go to the smaller hardware stores and buy one from them, they will carry the one with the stainless steel burners and cooking grates. That's what I did 10 years ago and I haven't had to replace a thing on it. Again, don't waste your money on the cheapo grills!!!!

Agreed, don't buy a cheapo. Look on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. I've seen some good Weber Genesis/Spirits in the $200 range or less that will still last longer.

I have to also agree! Go Weber and be done with it. Unless you live in Mayberry, you should have no problem finding an older Weber Genesis on CL. They last forever, and parts are readily available if/when needed.

Also recommend finding a genesis. Had one for at least 5 years and use it hard. Keeps that mess outside. Only thing Ive ever done to it is upgraded to GrillGrates.

Nothing is worse that going somewhere and finding an Aussie or some other POS gas grill. Wont even get hot enough to sear. More like a mild steaming effect.

Find a decent Weber Genesis on craigslist, and then pitch the existing grates and get wall to wall Grill Grates. They won't rust and are easy to clean. They are well worth the investment.

Never seen anybody post that grill grates were easy to clean but Weber all the way and get above the spirit line ,i have a 3 burner spirit and while its good it lacks stainless grates and burner shields

Never seen anybody post that grill grates were easy to clean but Weber all the way and get above the spirit line ,i have a 3 burner spirit and while its good it lacks stainless grates and burner shields

What do you mean by burner shields? Flavorizer bars? or is their something else the Genesis has that the Spirit doesnt, because my Spirit definitely has flavorizer bars.

It seems in my area, if you keep your eyes open on Craigslist, free Weber's pop up from time to time. Usually the Spirits, but I've seen Genesises before. And probably more if you're willing to pay. :razz:

Get some new flavorizer bars, maybe even new grates and you're off to the races. :grin:

I would recommend the Coyote C-Series 36-Inch 4-Burner Built-In Natural Gas Grill. It is AMAZING! Don't get me wrong, Weber's are very good but if you want the best I would go with the Coyote. They also make a part gas/part charcoal grill which enables you to get the best of both worlds. These grills are all stainless steel and cook so evenly. I PROMISE you will not regret it. The only downside is the cost - they are not cheap. Best of luck!

Anything $300 and under is going to be junk and not last much more than a couple years. At least jump up to a weber spirit for a couple hundred more.

Mod Note:

Moved to QTalk since this is not competition specific.

It's hard to go wrong with Weber. If the budget is $300, then the suggestion of a gently used Weber is a good one. I see them regularly on CL and FB Marketplace.

Going to echo the Weber comments - I’ve got a 12-year-old stainless first-gen Genesis that still looks & works great.

You can get a quality grill near that price range. Check out Broil King or Huntington. Fast aluminum fire boxes and lids, good warranty. Easily the equal of the Weber Spirit.

After having both Cast Iron, SS, and Porcelain coated grates, I'm sold on plain old Cast Iron.
You can burn it off if needed without any harm. And good old plain cast iron won't flake off in your food.
I've burned out Stainless Steel, and Porcelain coated grates.

Other than that, get what fits your budget. Take care of it, and it can last a long time.
I'm running a CharBroil gas grill, and on Natural Gas (Jets came with it). I don't see it dieing anytime soon. It's been in the Family for over a decade now.
If I last longer than the current grill, I want to get a Charcoal/Gas side-by-side.

Enjoy your next Bar-B-Que!

Last edited:
Father's day sales and similar should put the 2-burner Weber Spirit in your price range. Charbroil, Brinkman, and similar brands are a bit like disposable pens. :wink:

Father's day sales and similar should put the 2-burner Weber Spirit in your price range. Charbroil, Brinkman, and similar brands are a bit like disposable pens. :wink:

Yup, sez the guy who doesn't have one. :rolleyes:
Father's Day? Next June Sid? :loco:

Grandma got out some ribs for me to do this afternoon....
Guess she's got the hankerin. :thumb:

Who moved this post to the Competition page? How is this thread not dead? It started in 2018 and looks like it was just resurrected today. Is it winter yet?

You can get a decent grill for that price by going with Broil Mate. Available through Ace Hardware. I bought one for $200 probably twelve or thirteen years ago. Cooked fine, aluminum body. I never had to rebuild it and only got rid of it because I found it’s big brother, a Broil King, on Craigslist for $80. Canadian manufacturer.

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...VF4zICh3j0QqPEAQYASABEgJpr_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Back