high heat spare ribs ....

F

frost54

What does everyone think about doing spare ribs at 330-350? I'm sure there are threads on this subject but I did not see a search option.

It will work if you can keep them out of direct heat and you are careful with your use of sugar. But, my guess is they will be greasy.

I didn't intend on using that high a temp but I accidentally used to much farking charcoal. Oh well .... I guess I'll see what happens.

I always do ribs at 275-325, and they turn out great, not greasy at all. Nice bark, fully rendered. I don't foil, spritz, mop, or any other stuff, just let er' rip till they pass the bend test, usually about 3.75-4 hours.

I'm in bed snoozing by the time the guys are done with the 3-2-1 method.

I didn't intend on using that high a temp but I accidentally used to much farking charcoal. Oh well .... I guess I'll see what happens.

It is rumored that the gorilla from Unadilla cooks ribs in less than 3 hours at high temps in the 300F range.

But, I think at such high temps it doesn't allow enough time to render out fat adequately.

I have lowered the heat by adding charcoal on top of what you have and closing the vents for a short time.

Foil partway to avoid burning the bark, otherwise go for it.:thumb:

The ribs ended up coming out pretty good. They seemed a little dry to me. Next time will probably foil a little earlier. The wife however thought they were the best ribs I've made. Of course I didn't tell her that it was an accident to begin with. I'll definitely mess around with the high heat stuff a little more. Planning on a high heat brisket. Sorry no pron it was late.

Congrats, bro! I'm glad it worked out for you.

Funny story: I had to get some ribs done really fast last weekend. I cooked them at 300F and foiled after about 1.5 hours. One fellow who ate them said that if I were a woman he would propose to me. :p But, I thought they were a bit greasy.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Have fun experimenting!

I will probably foil after 1.5 hours next time Boshizzle. Bigabyte also mentioned foiling half way but by then i was on my way.

I've used Big Al's method for fast ribs- bank the coals on one side of a kettle, put the spares on the other side and let it rip at 450 for about 45mins or until they pass the bend test. Works well when pinched for time.

High heat works great for ribs as long as they are NOT cut too thin or too lean! If so, they may tend to get a bit dry...

Cheers

my smoker very rarely gets under 300* but that's how you do it when you don't have much time to cook

Back