MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Tiger Sauce link.

You can get it at grocery stores or online. It's a sweet hot sauce.

Tiger Sauce is a staple at my house, like salt,pepper and Tony's seasoning.

Grandson likes it on his popcorn.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

How do you know what is in the containers? I reuse my old spice containers for all sorts of different spices. He could have a mix of garlic powder, mustard poder, and onioin powder in a container. Just saying.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #18
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Interesting. I see two things in there that I dont currently do. Thanks

BTW, I used Try Me's Cajun Sunshine Hot Pepper Sauce in my chili this past wknd and it was awesome!

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #19
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Yeah, I heard him say that on the show. I'd bet a lot of BBQ cooks don't prefer what they turn in to judges. Either way, the judges sure like them.

The info is what it is: a glimpse into the processes of a champion BBQ cook. It can always be tailored to someone's personal preference.
Yeah he likes my style of ribs. We use the same temp and preferences to salt and pepper.

At comps I made the same ribs as he did with the exception of the tiger sauce. I used something else. Oh... one thing... In Texas contests I never cooked them this way.

I hear now days though, now that the regions have been muddied a bit and even Texas is now getting sort of the typical ignorant judges these days (this is due to the explosion of BBQ contests to an extent that we have exhausted experienced judges) that these types of sweet ribs are showing up even here in Texas.

I bet trig does these here now too. I saw he did them in that araizona contest and I was shocked.

Times change I guess.

That being said... I am so sick of my ribs these days I intend to do triggs ribs with my old additive on my little weber i got from the junk pile.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #20
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtSmokeBBQ View Post
How do you know what is in the containers? I reuse my old spice containers for all sorts of different spices. He could have a mix of garlic powder, mustard poder, and onioin powder in a container. Just saying.
No way of really knowing. I too re-use spice containers, but I make a point to remove the labels when I do (serves as a reminder).

Heck, anything is possible. He could be refilling the parkay bottles with banana pudding, but something tells me what's on the label is what's inside.

Regardless, I have always subscribed to this theory:
It's OK to share your BBQ recipes because BBQ folks are too proud to use somebody's exact recipe anyway.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_BBQ View Post
No way of really knowing. I too re-use spice containers, but I make a point to remove the labels when I do (serves as a reminder).

Heck, anything is possible. He could be refilling the parkay bottles with banana pudding, but something tells me what's on the label is what's inside.

It's OK to share your BBQ recipes because BBQ folks are too proud to use somebody's exact recipe anyway.
Hell, I will just go ahead and tell you straight up.

Redneck cooking - simple chit.

Trigg wins because so many bozos go off the path and get too damn creative. They use too many spices (yeah I am ashamed too as my damn glitter has 13 ingredients, lawrys has what> 8, and dalmatian rub has 5 if its simple (lemon pepper has like three at least)) - they buy fresh, they grind them,, they make elaborate spritzes and chit.

That onion powder or salt was a walmart label. Simple Lawrys,, hell yeah! Parkay, local honey, brown sugar... redneck baby.

You have to think about stuff. if everyones using elaborate chit... and you use simple ass lawrys... tell me, who chit is gonna really stand out?

Remember that passage in the peace love and bbq where the guys were going around tasting other stuff on the gold cart and telling them thats good... then laughing all the way to the trophies as they would say "those idiots have 17 things in their damn rub."

Old 02-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #22
Boshizzle

Yep, simple and basic makes good BBQ. I heard someone telling me their rub had 18 spices in it. I was thinking to myself that makes good advertising but all it does to the taste is either nothing because there is so little of many of the spices or it just makes it too "designer". "Prissy" was the actual word that came to mind.

To me, the perfect BBQ is a good cut of meat that is tender, juicy, and meaty with a firm texture seasoned with salt, pepper, and gentle smokiness.

My favorite rub has salt, pepper, garlic and a little paprika. That's it. My sauce has ketchup, vinegar, pepper, garlic, onion, brown sugar, and one other Virginia native spice that I can't devulge because of an old family friend.

Now, that doesn't mean that more ingredients aren't good or aren't "real" BBQ, it's just my preference is for simple flavors that compliment each other. If you have to get a culinary degree to cook it, it probably isn't good BBQ. Even Tuffy Stone had to ratchet down the "fabulous" factor to win.

Hollywood, Milan, Napa Valley, and Beverly Hills aren't known for their BBQ for good reasons. They are too prissy about it.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 02-09-2010 at 11:08 AM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #23
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:

nothing like those hidden single sentences that just sneak up on you..
Thanks.... need some windex for the monitor now.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #24
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStomach View Post
Use butter, it'll be fine. If anyone says the butter will burn, they're forgetting that brown sugar burns at a lower temp than butter and the brown sugar doesn't burn in this method.

Make sure you use two layers of heavy duty foil and crimp the foil closed really well. I made 5 racks of baby backs yesterday on my UDS, works really darn well.
Wrong....

Sorry to disagree with you but I have used butter only once and I ended up with carbon coated ribs and I cook at 225 degrees. I was as shocked as anyone. I thought butter would make everything better. Just to clarify, I use the 3-2-1 method too.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #25
Haltech
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
Wrong....

Sorry to disagree with you but I have used butter only once and I ended up with carbon coated ribs and I cook at 225 degrees. I was as shocked as anyone. I thought butter would make everything better. Just to clarify, I use the 3-2-1 method too.

How long were they wrapped and under heat this way? Meat side down?
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #26
mgwerks
Full Fledged Farker

I'm so with the funkmaster on this. Simpler is often better. Ribs for others get sauced or however they want them. Ribs for me and mine? Trimmed, wiped dry, bathed in Worcestershire and an application of Bolner's Fajita Seasoning, or sometimes just S&P.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #27
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
Wrong....

How well did you seal the foil?
Did you only use one sheet?
I've heard from someone who's used this method a number of times that if there's a leak it'll burn. Keep it sealed and the steam inside will help. If it escapes, the sugar dries and burns. That's right, the sugar, that wasn't the butter that burnt on you.

I'm only reporting my experience, maybe it was a fluke, maybe my drum runs on cold fusion.

I used 1/6 a cup of butter (2-1/2 Tblsp), 1/6 cup of light brown sugar, 1/6 cup of honey and 1/6 cup of apple cider on each rack of five racks on Sunday. They were cruising at 250-275. Used a 3-2-0 method, and aside from desperately needing to reduce the cooking times next time out (pulled pork ribs anyone?), nothing was burnt. In fact, the ribs could have used a little crisping.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #28
thillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStomach View Post
Use butter, it'll be fine. If anyone says the butter will burn, they're forgetting that brown sugar burns at a lower temp than butter and the brown sugar doesn't burn in this method.

Make sure you use two layers of heavy duty foil and crimp the foil closed really well. I made 5 racks of baby backs yesterday on my UDS, works really darn well.
It's not just for the flavor that the margarine is being used. I'm not sure buter would have the same affect on overcooked ribs. Parkay does seem keep them from falling off the bone too easily.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #29
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

That is quoteworthy right there!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #30
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

3-2-1

3 hours smoke
2 hours foil
1 hour back on the smoke and sauce

and I already mentioned that I cook 225 degrees.

I feel that I am pretty successful in comps when it comes to ribs. Last year I did eight comps and I got two firsts and two seconds. Consider this, I have cooked hundreds of racks of ribs utilizing this method and only once have I ever had the problem. Like I said, I was shocked.

I'll skip all the details and stick with what wins, I just don't want to see folks thinking that butter and parkay are gonna cook the same. that said if butter works for you stick with it but again, why re-invent the wheel plus the parkay is already in liquid form.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote