First cook on my new Backwoods Pro Clone. Birthday Ribs with lots of Pron

TTNuge

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well the time finally came to fire up the smoker and really see what it could do. My objectives in this cook were many, from determining how quickly it would come up to temp to finding out how long a full load of lump would last and more importantly how well food would taste coming off the smoker. Mother Nature decided to cooperate fully with temps that barely hit 50 and winds that barely dropped below 20mph all day as well as some light rain and drizzle scattered throughout the day. I figured she was just letting us know what we were in for when we start competing.

I started off by putting up the new EZ-Up and securing each corner with a bucket of water. At times I felt I could have used 2 buckets on each corner the winds were howling.

IMG_4157-vi.jpg

Got the Stoker hooked up and the laptop inside running Stokerlog to keep track of the days cook.

IMG_4159-vi.jpg

A Full bag of Royal Oak from RD fits perfectly in the basket. Barely enough room to add a few wood chunks but it can be done.

IMG_4158-vi.jpg

I started with hot water out of the tap for the water pan, nearly 15 gallons worth. Next time I think I'll heat up water on the propane burner to get it near boiling. I think that will help with getting up to temp. I also have a propane weed burner I could use to preheat the smoker a bit. As it was it took nearly 2 hours to get up to 275* and I'd love to cut that down to an hour or so. I think that will help make the basket of lump last a bit longer overall as well.

After temps stabilized I did a little biscuit test.

10 mins in..
IMG_4162-vi.jpg

20 mins in...
IMG_4163-vi.jpg

Just under 30 mins and they're done...
IMG_4164-vi.jpg

A little warmer at the top as expected but not by much. Very happy with the temps both top to bottom and front to back with the back corners probably being a few degrees hotter but not much.

Finished results..
IMG_4167-vi.jpg

Time to get the ribs ready. Three racks of St. Louis Cut spares from Costco. Not thrilled with them but they'll do.

IMG_4168-vi.jpg

All rubbed up and ready

IMG_4170-vi.jpg

And after just 4 hours of cook time....

IMG_4171-vi.jpg

Way overdone by Comp standards but awesome for some home eatin'

IMG_4172-vi.jpg

IMG_4174-vi.jpg

All in all it was a great day, a wonderful first cook and I couldn't think of a better way to spend my Birthday. The ribs were a little overcooked but they were still some of the most moist ribs I've ever had. The flavor was great but I will add a few more wood chunks next time. The ribs tasted great but it's the last time I'll buy pre-St. Louis cut ribs from Costco, a blind butcher could have cut them better than this. I definitely need to work on my timings some but I'll be more than happy to keep practicing.

Overall the lump lasted just about 10 hours total with 8 of those hours at temp before it started falling. I think it had to work pretty hard to get up to temp and if I can cut that from 2 to 1 hour I should gain at least an hour or two on the back end. Either way it's going to be real close and just might last long enough for a comp cook the way I have it planned. I'll be sure and practice more and more.

bdayribs-vi.jpg

Chicken Thighs and Pork Butts are up next!

Thanks,
Trent

Looks good to me! What did you use to log your cook? Stoker? CyberQ?

Edit: NM, i see the stoker mention! Got distracted by all the pretty pron!

Looks great! love that red tint to the ribs!!!

also, I'm glad to see my kitchen counter isn't the only one with my wifes crap all over it when I'm trying to take pics of my food! lol :laugh:

Very nice, looks like you built a good cooker, those biscuits are very even.

You said it was a clone. Who, What, Where?

The link to the build is in my sig. I basically built a clone of a Backwoods Smoker which is a vertical reverse flow smoker where the smoke travels up through the walls, down over the meat and out the exhaust.

Looks great! love that red tint to the ribs!!!

also, I'm glad to see my kitchen counter isn't the only one with my wifes crap all over it when I'm trying to take pics of my food! lol :laugh:

LOL, I thought about excluding that pic but most the mess is mine so I figured what the heck.

Well at least the weather will be consistent for Mn in May ....well it may have been a lil warmer then contest weekend.Always 2 buckets on the corner for me.

Your biskits test went as expected - the top and back ones did a bit better than the rest. That's how smokers work. Yours seems to be true to form. :wink:

Back