• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Turkey on UDS

gaspipe1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking to smoke two turkeys on my UDS. I am wondering what size birds can I cook on a 22.5" grate (side by side). I do not think that I can fit top and bottom even though I do have two racks. Thanks in advance

Bring a tape measure with ya when ya go shopping and measure the size of the birds and allow a couple of inches between the 2 birds.

Bring a tape measure with ya when ya go shopping and measure the size of the birds and allow a couple of inches between the 2 birds.

That's not a bad idea... I'm try'n to see if I can get a fresh kill looking fwd to thanksgiving this year.

good luck. I put one bird on my 22.5 with a webber lid and it was basically full. It'll be two small birds at best. I don't recall the size of the bird we did it was labor day weekend and I was just the cook, not the shopper. I just brined and smoked it.

Depending on how many people you need to feed, you should easily fit a 20# bird on a typical ~22.5 UDS. That said, it is often said that you should not buy turkeys over 14#s because by the time the breast is cooked properly, the other parts are dry.

If you cook them upright on a large can like a Fosters can you might be able to get two on the one grate. You need room for the smoke to get around the bird though. Maybe do a turkey and a chicken or two?

Back