First cook on the Weber kettle

MrDsmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I did smoked chicken leg quarters. They came out beautiful! I smoked for about 2 hrs at about 325-375 on my kettle. The large piece was a little pink around the bone. Does anyone have suggestions or techniques that have worked for smoking leg quarters.

Was it blood or just pink colored meat? Smoked chicken meat can be a little pink which is normal. If those temps are accurate, your chicken should be done- plenty done IMO. I can cook spatchcocked chicken in about 1hr 10min or so with temps around 325* in a kettle. I also like to trim a little of the skin/fat off the bottom of the leg/thigh joint. Gets more heat this way.

As mentioned, pink colored meat is normal. You can tell if the meat is done by using a white paper towel and touching it to the meat. The juice from the meat should be clear, not pink.

Also, and good meat thermometer will help with chicken. You want the internal temp for dark meat to be at least 165. I prefer closer to 180 for legs and thighs.

What if you have pink paper towels:confused: Where poultry is involved I exersize caution and use a thermo 175 all is good on dark meat.

Glad you had a successful first cook! Chicken is great BBQ'd. Next time consider brining the chicken quarters for a couple hours before cooking. Keeps them really moist.

My wife has reservations about eating my slightly pink smoked chicken too. I just cook it to probe 165 on the breast and the dark should be good to go. Just be sure and move your probe around so 165 is the lowest temp.

Was it blood or just pink colored meat? Smoked chicken meat can be a little pink which is normal. If those temps are accurate, your chicken should be done- plenty done IMO. I can cook spatchcocked chicken in about 1hr 10min or so with temps around 325* in a kettle. I also like to trim a little of the skin/fat off the bottom of the leg/thigh joint. Gets more heat this way.

What He said ! Good work ,Kettles are great chicken cookers.

Back