Titch's Middle Eastern Rib Eye Steak

Sumac is very adaptable.
Aside from meats it goes great with dressings and yogurt (for BBQ, hint hint), salads too, heck, even rice!

We made a loaf of fruit loaf in our Breadmaker.
Used our normal recipe and added a heaped teaspoon of Sumac to it.
added a very nice subtle flavour to the loaf.
I am enjoying this Spice/berry

002Medium_zps990cb7e9.jpg

003Medium_zpsa31bfa40.jpg

The steak with sauce looks great! Might work on Tri-Tip or Pork Loin.

We have Staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina) in our yard. Birds, such as evening grosbeaks, feed on them, but it has never occurred to me to use them. Thanks to your post I have been reading about them and it is likely that their drupes can be used just as you are using them. Native Americans used this sumac as food, dye and tannin for leather.

I appreciate this post Titch.

Last edited:
That looks great although I never have really used a sauce on steaks. It would seem to be missing salt. Is that picked up by the beef stock in your sauce?

That looks great although I never have really used a sauce on steaks. It would seem to be missing salt. Is that picked up by the beef stock in your sauce?

Salt and I do not get on.most of my cooking is very little salt usage.
The stock was a low salt one as well.
Season to taste comes to mind

Salt and I do not get on.most of my cooking is very little salt usage.
The stock was a low salt one as well.
Season to taste comes to mind

I feel the same way Titch.

I don't be-grudge anyone salt for their Q, but I prefer to let the meat speak for itself.

Dave

You have been associating with too many Americans. All that sauce on a great looking steak!!!! Get back to your Aussie roots - a great steak is served with salt & pepper. One can then taste the meat!
John

You have been associating with too many Americans. All that sauce on a great looking steak!!!! Get back to your Aussie roots - a great steak is served with salt & pepper. One can then taste the meat!
John

that may be all good and well. what the Fark do I do with my sauce:caked:

More on Sumac.

I am not a big Rib cooker so thought I would try some.

Rub was .
3 parts Sumac.
1 part Chinese 5 spice.
1 part Garlic powder.
1 part brown Sugar.
I part Slap Ya Mama White pepper mix.

did the 3,2,1 method spoken of here,no glaze.used Pomegranete juce when foiled.
smoked using the Snake method with banksia pods as smoke.
Came out pretty Tasty and not covered in sugar.

019Medium_zpsa80495d9.jpg

033Medium_zpsc01d8f2e.jpg

Loving this Sumac,puts a nice odour thru the house.

I only found out about sumac a few years ago in a spice import shop. And only then because there was a little hand written sign explaining about it.
Once I got it home and took my first big wiff :shock: I knew I something special.
It goes perfect with poultry and also game. Kind of the same way juniper berry goes with game.,,, But not the same if you know what I mean :twitch:.
It is a spice I mix into all of my home made rubs and bbq sauces regardless of what im rubbing.
Go get some

Last edited:
Back