Discussion Thread -> BBQ Brethren "T-Bone & Surf!" (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
"T-Bone & Surf!"

As chosen by silverfinger for his epic win in the "Brisket Master!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

silverfinger said:
T-Bone & Surf:

Time to pull out your summertime grills and cook a good T-Bone with your favorite Seafood to go with it! And feel free to add any side you like to complement your meal! Meat with a bone in it the shape of a T will qualify.
I think it adds more creativity to the throwdown!

No special rules here Brethren! Enjoy your summer feast!

What??? No special rules? :confused:

:mmph:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/26 through Sunday 8/4.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 8/5.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...
...especially take note of:

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Click HERE to go to the off topic, often nonsensical, confusing, and downright bizarre discussion thread.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
This is my official entry and I thank you for lookin!

I cooked too much lobster last night and decided to switch it up a bit for this most stellar TD ingredient selection, choosen by silverfinger for his Brisket Master Win!

Lets get to it!

Went to 3 different meat markets in search of a great T-Bone. Ended up at my local Publix market, in the back with the butcher. I asked him for a T-Bone 1.5 inches thick. He told me I was crazy (BTW, not the first time I have heard this) he said " Why don't you want the Fillet side?" I.E. Porterhouse. I replied..."It's another BBQ-Brethren throwdown" He shut up immediately.

My Meat

The Players

Sauteed and browned a bit of sweet creme butter with 4 fresh leaves of Sage from the garden. And added a 1/2 cup of lump crab meat to make a Oscar Topping.

Since this was a T-Bone Throwdown I removed the Filet Mignon portion of my Porterhouse and Vacusucked that piece for another night!

Cooked the t-bone hot and fast

Moved the T-bone and started some Asparagus on the CI griddle, things were gettin way hot!

Plated with fresh made Hollandaise sauce and the Crab Oscar piled ontop!

Gettin busy!

The End!

The official polling pic if you please

Thanks for lookin, I'll keep on cookin.
Jed

Jed,
Great cook Brother!
I keep craving a good steak since we started this throwdown.
Just for the record, a porterhouse is fine! If Ron disagrees (and I don't believe he does) he would have said something.

Jed,
Great cook Brother!
I keep craving a good steak since we started this throwdown.
Just for the record, a porterhouse is fine! If Ron disagrees (and I don't believe he does) he would have said something.
I am more than happy. Now I have a Filet Mignon for tomorrow night...or next week. Who knows, it's sealed and frozen for now. What a bit(h to find a t-bone though! :-o

Jed, great lookin cook.
Can't wait to see what Silver does with the cuda for this one.

Yes, but what if Moose disagrees? :rolleyes:

So technically, ANY kind of Tbone would work, right? That opens up a whole bunch of possibilities...

Nice steak, but I'm confused, I thought that a T-Bone steak was the whole thing, strip and filet. :confused:

If you cut the filet off, wouldn't it be a bone-in NY Strip?

CD

The T-bone and porterhouse are steaks of beef cut from the short loin. Both steaks include a "T-shaped" bone with meat on each side. Porterhouse steaks are cut from the rear end of the short loin and thus include more tenderloin steak, along with (on the other side of the bone) a large strip steak. T-bone steaks are cut closer to the front, and contain a smaller section of tenderloin.

The T-bone and porterhouse are steaks of beef cut from the short loin. Both steaks include a "T-shaped" bone with meat on each side. Porterhouse steaks are cut from the rear end of the short loin and thus include more tenderloin steak, along with (on the other side of the bone) a large strip steak. T-bone steaks are cut closer to the front, and contain a smaller section of tenderloin.

So,
How do you decide what one you have when you get to the middle of the loin?:confused:

A serious question then.

I know, right?:icon_clown

I much prefer pork with seafood, I've never made the jump to happy with beef and seafood. It always seems like I need to eat one and then the other.

If I can find one, would a pork T-bone be accepted?
In saying that, I haven't seen one around here in a couple of decades..and that was at a German butchers...

This is My entry into the Silverfinger Pick of the Week....The T-Bone & Surf TD

I started with two nice Angus Beef T-Bones and some beautiful scallops. Nicely seasoned with a bit of S&P and some EVOO on the Surf
100_1809.jpg

Next up are the Taters on the grill. I par boil some baby reds just before soft and then layer them in a pan with Buttah and home grown chives. On for a bit of Hickory smoke
100_1810.jpg

T-Bones after the first flip.....on the cool side
100_1811.jpg

And now the reverse, ala Moose Sear,......Mmmmm
100_1812.jpg

Then the Surf, scallops. I used this pan instead of right on the grate. A bit of EVOO and it work fabulous.
100_1813.jpg

Plate shot ganished with some Marrow Blu-Cheese Buttah from Fatback Joe
100_1814.jpg

An for may Official Money Shot Entry The often heard about, but rarely seen.......double fork shot
100_1816.jpg

There that should get me at least three votes..........:heh:

Last edited:
Back