MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #11686
knitmar
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I am nearly at the same stage of progress as you are, so I can't contribute an answer to your question. But I'd like to pose a question to you - how did you determine/measure the correct length to cut the 2 x 1/8 aluminum. I keep coming up with lengths varying up to a half inch. It loks as if you hit it on the button. Nice job, hope you get quick answer to your gasket question.
knitmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #11687
sensor
Found some matches.

Newbie here, Ive read 200 pages so far and cannot find a method for cutting the top out of a 55 gallon closed drum, so it can be reused for a lid. it seems that most use a webber lid. I am cheap and don't want to buy one. If this is the only option the cheapest lid/grill I can find is home depot for $60.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbui...6?N=5yc1vZbx8h
It is a Masterbuilt and not a webber…. will it work?
sensor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #11688
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sensor, I suggest looking on Craigslist and a little patience. You should be able to pick up a 22.5" Weber Silver Kettle pretty darn cheap.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #11689
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensor View Post
Newbie here, Ive read 200 pages so far and cannot find a method for cutting the top out of a 55 gallon closed drum, so it can be reused for a lid. it seems that most use a webber lid. I am cheap and don't want to buy one. If this is the only option the cheapest lid/grill I can find is home depot for $60.
You cut around the outside of the lip of the barrel. I took my time and worked through a little at a time to keep from cutting all of the way through.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #11690
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Gasket options

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitmar View Post
I am nearly at the same stage of progress as you are, so I can't contribute an answer to your question. But I'd like to pose a question to you - how did you determine/measure the correct length to cut the 2 x 1/8 aluminum. I keep coming up with lengths varying up to a half inch. It loks as if you hit it on the button. Nice job, hope you get quick answer to your gasket question.
Practice and patience. Originally, I ordered the 1.5" x 1/2" size as I had seen this used as well but I got a little too eager and didn't factor in that my drum has a rather substantial lip and that might potentially be a pain to deal with when inserting the screws so that 1/2" of the aluminum rose above the drum. It was at that point that I realized that the extra 1/2" was crucial and and I moved on to the 2" size and took my time. Lesson learned. I even drilled the holes in the aluminum first, so I have a guide for the drum.

I deliberately made it a tad too big to start, then shaved it down slowly; first by taking roughly 1/8" off of each end with the jigsaw, then switching to a file for fine tuning. Now it looks nice...with just the slightly loose lid.

I could probably hold off, bolt it down, then seal it with Permatex and see how it holds up when I go to season it but I was curious if anyone has tried something other than fiberglass, as that stuff is a pain to work with and I'd rather not have the safety risk.
bbq1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #11691
sensor
Found some matches.

Thanks, 068 What did you use to make the cut? I have a 4" grinder but I am thinking maybe a cut off wheel would be more surgical. Smells, yeah if I can get the top cut to reuse it till I find a deal. Thanks!
sensor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #11692
cowboykilroy
Found some matches.

Sensor I bought the backyard grill brand from Walmart. Used the lid and hinges (you'll love the hinges) the grate and the wheels.
cowboykilroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #11693
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitmar View Post
3.14167 X the actual dia.= the circumference This is the length of the Strip

Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #11694
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Thanks, 068 What did you use to make the cut? I have a 4" grinder but I am thinking maybe a cut off wheel would be more surgical. Smells, yeah if I can get the top cut to reuse it till I find a deal. Thanks!
I used a rotozip saw to make the first cut and followed that with a 4" angle grinder, using the thinnest cutting blade that I could find.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #11695
AaronPo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq1980 View Post
Practice and patience. Originally, I ordered the 1.5" x 1/2" size as I had seen this used as well but I got a little too eager and didn't factor in that my drum has a rather substantial lip and that might potentially be a pain to deal with when inserting the screws so that 1/2" of the aluminum rose above the drum. It was at that point that I realized that the extra 1/2" was crucial and and I moved on to the 2" size and took my time. Lesson learned. I even drilled the holes in the aluminum first, so I have a guide for the drum.

I deliberately made it a tad too big to start, then shaved it down slowly; first by taking roughly 1/8" off of each end with the jigsaw, then switching to a file for fine tuning. Now it looks nice...with just the slightly loose lid.

I could probably hold off, bolt it down, then seal it with Permatex and see how it holds up when I go to season it but I was curious if anyone has tried something other than fiberglass, as that stuff is a pain to work with and I'd rather not have the safety risk.
DO you have any pictures of this? I'd be interested in seeing them. My weber lid doesn't fit perfectly. It works, but I can easily slide it around on top of the drum.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #11696
TexasTex
On the road to being a farker

In all honesty, are these things that great? I have only used traditional smokers and Webers.

I would defiantly be open to something cheap and awesome, that is efficient and does the job.
TexasTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #11697
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Take a 4.5 " angle grinder with a grinding wheel and carefully grind the outside edge off. You will notice a point where the lid and drum meat each other. once you get down to that point all the way around, a little tap with a screw driver and hammer and the lid will come right off and is still 100% reuseable.

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 AM   #11698
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTex View Post
In all honesty, are these things that great? I have only used traditional smokers and Webers.
I would defiantly be open to something cheap and awesome, that is efficient and does the job.
It depends on what you want and how you like to cook. If you want a lot of grate space, no need for messing with trying to hold a temp for hours on end. Like the flavor of cooked over a real fire. Then yes they are great! I'm selling one of my other style smokers and building a 3rd UDS which I will modify for doing not only the low and slow, but also cooking pizza's, just my next version of UDS as I can do all those thing now.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #11699
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPo View Post
DO you have any pictures of this? I'd be interested in seeing them. My weber lid doesn't fit perfectly. It works, but I can easily slide it around on top of the drum.
Yeah, no problem. There were some in my earlier post, but here are 2 shots of the lid, plus a shot of how the aluminum bar literally rests right up against my grate bolts, plus a pic of the template I created to drill the holes in the aluminum. Grates are 1.75" down per the Norco build.

From the pics, the lid looks like it fits ok, and it does, and it might very well seal up better after I run Permatex around it or have done a seasoning burn where some gunk accumulates, but despite the pics, the lid is definitely not snug so I think I can improve it, though I'm probably over-thinking but perfection is awesome. I saw someplace else where someone actually put a 1/2" wide piece of aluminum on the 1/2" area that protrudes from the drum, so that was why I thought that the 1/2" x 1/8'" thick nomex might seal the deal.

The template I used was a scrap from the first piece of 1.5" aluminum that I farked up. After some experimenting, I found that screws to attach the aluminum are best 1/2" off the bottom so I marked 1/2" on my template, then it took me 2 tries to drill a hole that's centered on that line. I then clamped and aligned the template on top of my 2" wide piece, figured out how far apart to evenly space the 8 screws, then had holes that were all even since I figured an uneven piece of aluminum would create an uneven lid.

I'll eventually have an easier time attaching the 2" piece to the drum, and I'm going back and redoing the grate supports with acorn nuts on the outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDS Lid.jpg (49.2 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg UDS Lid 2.jpg (51.7 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg Close up.jpg (62.4 KB, 618 views)
File Type: jpg Template.jpg (46.7 KB, 617 views)
bbq1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #11700
TexasTex
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
It depends on what you want and how you like to cook. If you want a lot of grate space, no need for messing with trying to hold a temp for hours on end. Like the flavor of cooked over a real fire. Then yes they are great! I'm selling one of my other style smokers and building a 3rd UDS which I will modify for doing not only the low and slow, but also cooking pizza's, just my next version of UDS as I can do all those thing now.
Yea, sounds great. I'm interested in that for sure.
TexasTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker