MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
CSMASHE
Found some matches.

Default Temperature issues.

I tried to post this using tapatalk and it does not seem to have posted.

I built an ugly drum smoker and I am having an issue with the temperature creeping up and down depending on what the ball valve it set at.

If the temperature is going up and hits 250 I will slightly close the the ball valve (very very little) and the Temperature will start creeping down and not stop. If I open up the valve a little bit it will start creeping up also. An hour and a half later Temperature is still going up or down and does not seem to level out.

It has made for a sleepless night while I am smoking some butts for the super bowel.

Any ideas?
CSMASHE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
CSMASHE
Found some matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

The original posted just fine. I just deleted it and left this one.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
CSMASHE
Found some matches.

That's strange. I could not find it. Is there a delay? With tapatalk posts?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Small swings are no big deal learn to cook where it wants to run. I think your breaking the cardinal rule of the UDS. Catch your temps on the way up, make small adjustments and wait for the drum to settle in at least 15 min( I wait 20). This is my routine I cook at 300 so you may need to adj you temps a little YMMV. I use about 12-15 briquettes to light the lump in the basket. I let the basket sit about 10 min before loading into the drum. Start with all intakes open as the temp rises I close the first intake at 200 at 250 I close the valve by 1/2 then I leave it alone for 20 min to allow it to settle in. I make the final adj on the valve either open or closed I wait 20 min to allow it to settle.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

It has made for a sleepless night while I am smoking some butts for the super bowel.

Ha!Super bowel,that's funny.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
CSMASHE
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Small swings are no big deal learn to cook where it wants to run. I think your breaking the cardinal rule of the UDS. Catch your temps on the way up, make small adjustments and wait for the drum to settle in at least 15 min( I wait 20). This is my routine I cook at 300 so you may need to adj you temps a little YMMV. I use about 12-15 briquettes to light the lump in the basket. I let the basket sit about 10 min before loading into the drum. Start with all intakes open as the temp rises I close the first intake at 200 at 250 I close the valve by 1/2 then I leave it alone for 20 min to allow it to settle in. I make the final adj on the valve either open or closed I wait 20 min to allow it to settle.
I am trying to catch it on the way up. When I do it then starts to fall (below 200 after a while). It keeps falling over an hours time frame. I slightly open the ball valve and then it starts to rise. It will rise to 300 or so if I don't try and bring it down again over the next hour to hour and a half. I am opening and closing it so little that there is not a smaller step that I can take.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMASHE View Post
I am trying to catch it on the way up. When I do it then starts to fall (below 200 after a while). It keeps falling over an hours time frame. I slightly open the ball valve and then it starts to rise. It will rise to 300 or so if I don't try and bring it down again over the next hour to hour and a half. I am opening and closing it so little that there is not a smaller step that I can take.

Thanks for the help.

Remove that riser. I guarantee it will lock in temps much faster.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Good Call!! I just noticed that and I agree I have one on mine but it is only 12". with a 3/4 intake that long riser is to much restriction and that would explain the dropping temp as the air decreases so does the temp.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
CSMASHE
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I have 2 ball valves. Last night only the one in the bottom (not on the riser) was being used. All other openings where closed.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, I think the cold fresh air is fighting against the warm air rising within the tall riser.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Thermometers lie!!!

I find in mine that the maverick thermometer at the center of my grate with a terra cotta diffuser will read cooler than the edge of the drum at the beginning of the cook, then it will read hotter after the terra cotta has heated up, and then much later in the cooker as more charcoal has lit at the edges of the basket it reads about the same.

I find that when I add meat to the smoker the temp on the thermometer will drop because I just added 20# of cold meat. BUT, the fire hasn't changed temp. It is still the same temp at the coals. If I open the smoker up to bring the temp back up, then I've just made a bigger fire and as the temp of meat rises, the smoker will creep up in temp.

I typically cook overnight. I find that it gets cooler outside and my temps can drop slightly. But, if I try and compensate, it is usually such a small change that changes in the ball valve setting results in overshooting.

Once it is locked in on temp, prove it to yourself by letting it burn at that temp for 1 hour at that temp. If it doesn't creep up, it likely won't throughout the cook. Then put the meat on and fight the temptation to adjust the settings. Trust that the smoker will revert to the temp you had before. There can be 20* to 50* difference in the temp between the edge and center. It changes throughout the cook. You must learn to take an average and be willing to accept cooking in a 20* temperature range, and not at a specific temp.

It takes practice. Good luck.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
CSMASHE
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Thermometers lie!!!

I find in mine that the maverick thermometer at the center of my grate with a terra cotta diffuser will read cooler than the edge of the drum at the beginning of the cook, then it will read hotter after the terra cotta has heated up, and then much later in the cooker as more charcoal has lit at the edges of the basket it reads about the same.

I find that when I add meat to the smoker the temp on the thermometer will drop because I just added 20# of cold meat. BUT, the fire hasn't changed temp. It is still the same temp at the coals. If I open the smoker up to bring the temp back up, then I've just made a bigger fire and as the temp of meat rises, the smoker will creep up in temp.

I typically cook overnight. I find that it gets cooler outside and my temps can drop slightly. But, if I try and compensate, it is usually such a small change that changes in the ball valve setting results in overshooting.

Once it is locked in on temp, prove it to yourself by letting it burn at that temp for 1 hour at that temp. If it doesn't creep up, it likely won't throughout the cook. Then put the meat on and fight the temptation to adjust the settings. Trust that the smoker will revert to the temp you had before. There can be 20* to 50* difference in the temp between the edge and center. It changes throughout the cook. You must learn to take an average and be willing to accept cooking in a 20* temperature range, and not at a specific temp.

It takes practice. Good luck.
Thanks k.