rib stacking question

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey boys I have one of these offset smokers

http://www.bbqgalore.com/smokers/misc/173543

my question is can I stack pork spares on top of eachother. I have to smoke 14 racks of pork spares this weekend. I know all 14 will not fit, I have other smokers, I was just wondering more or less what would be the max for this type of smoker

I would venture to say if you stuffed 14 racks in there and attempted to cook them you would not get a call back. I would bet 2 rib racks (holders) and maybe a few leaners is about best.

Well at least you won't have to do any mods on the Bar-B-Chef, but hope you enjoy tending fire.

i would go rib racks and a couple of leaners like Pat mentioned. and rotate them to compensate for hot spots etc. i dont think u would get 14 racks in there. you might be able to roll em up and set em in there that way. i dont know what the clearance is inside of your pit though.

I have to smoke 14 racks of pork spares this weekend. I know all 14 will not fit, I have other smokers, I was just wondering more or less what would be the max for this type of smoker.

I would cook them in advance to just before you would sauce/glaze them and then pull them. Then you can reheat over a grill (or grills) while you sauce them. Unless you have a smoker large enough to hold them all at once in a rack, I think this is your best bet.

I have one of those and you are never going to get 14 racks in there without ruining at least 6. A rib rack will hold 6 racks and a couple of leaners. Of course, once you wrap them, you can stack them, but that is all.

Good luck.

I still have an old Brinkman that is the same style and I think size...

I have one of those and you are never going to get 14 racks in there without ruining at least 6. A rib rack will hold 6 racks and a couple of leaners. Of course, once you wrap them, you can stack them, but that is all.

Good luck.

I Agree with Tops... I think I would batch it into two groups...

Just quit using that smoker for the UDS. Not much chance of getting 14 racks in there.

Put me square in the don't stack, two batches of 7 with racks and leaner(s), cook in advance camp. I have a NBSS, and rib capacity is one of the big reasons why I bought a different cooker recently.

dmp

As was mentioned by "meanmna" cook them in advance and then just warm them up. I have that model BB Chef and it just won't do the job your asking about.

thanks boys, I guess I will indirect my weber ranch kettle to compensate

Other than the lack of space to cook enough ribs for your needs, how do you feel about the Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker

Gary,

The BBChef is a pretty nice unit. They do require some mods in order to really use it to its full potential. I used to have two of them and that's what I competed with. Leaves little room for error and they sure are heavy. Loading and unloading those suckers in and out of the back of a truck was a hassle.

I moved way up with my FAT 50. I'm loving that smoker for sure!

Is there a way you could add a temporay shelf to it ribs are not very tall. That would double your space.

You could give it a try, but I'm saying not. There's very little overhead and not very deep. You definitely can't fit two rib racks, one on top of the other.

Other than the lack of space to cook enough ribs for your needs, how do you feel about the Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker

I think it's a great backyard unit. Like I said, I used to compete with two of them. For catering purposes...You're just asking for trouble.

Back