MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
JasonB
Found some matches.

Default HnF Brisky Help

I tried my first HnF brisket on Sunday. The wife wanted brisket and I knew I didn't have enough time to do low and slow, so I gave it a whirl. The brisket was a 9.66lb trimmed packer from Wal-Mart (I didn't know till afterward for HnF you want more fat). This packer was trimmed well. Very little fat left on it.

First off this was cooked on an Old Country offset. I used a small bag of Kigsford for the base coals then switched over to mesquite for the rest of the cook. The temp ran from 300F-350F for most of the cook. A couple of times it dipped down around 275 but not for long.

I wasn't exactly sure how to go about the process so I basically left it alone. Never wrapped it in foil or anything. Just cooked it. I never really got it to probe butter smooth, but got it as tender as I thought it would end up. I first checked it at 190F and I guess I let too much time go by as the next check was at 198. I finally pulled it at 201.

The brisket had a great flavor and everything was perfect other than it was a tad on the dry side. However, I wonder if that was due to the fact that this was a well trimmed packer.

I put this brisket on at 11:20 AM and it came off about 5:15. It only got to rest in foil and a towel for about 40 minutes since everyone was complaining they were starving to death.

JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

looks pretty good honestly. my only thoughts on brisket are, it could have been butter well before 190*, or it needed to go to 210* for butter. every brisket is a bit different, some take shorter time, some longer.

also, typically, a HNF uses foil @ 160*(i think), or @ 2-3 hours in.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
JasonB
Found some matches.

Thanks. For some reason, during my super fast reading on Sunday AM tryingto figure this out, I never really saw the mention of foil. I read one person that even said to resist the urge to foil. I will try the foil next time.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You say it was dry. Did you inject? Most of the cooks that I know that cook Hot and Fast brisket inject to prevent drying out the meat.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
JasonB
Found some matches.

No, no injection was used.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
No, no injection was used.
Try foiling and injecting next time. It will definetely help with dryness. A simple injection I would recommend is beef broth, onion soup mix, amesphos and water.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62365

here's a good baseline.

also pitmaster T has compiled a massive amount of brisket questions, answers, and tutorials in one post. can't find it right this second though.

here it is....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=109807

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:

Last edited by boogiesnap; 06-11-2013 at 09:08 AM..
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

Try letting it rest a bit longer next time. Usually when I do HnF I try to let them rest for about 1.5 hours at the least (wrapped and coolered).

You said that the temps were swinging 275-350. Beef can be picky about temps so you may want to get more consistent with the temp of the pit and not let it swing so much. But honestly it looks really good!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

I hope your guests shut the fark up after eating it. It looks good from here. Going to pull the trigger and do one myself this weekend.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Looks good to me, too. I always allow extra time. I prefer a two hour rest, but three or four hours won't hurt a thing.

BTW, dry brisket is usually undercooked. Overcooked brisket will fall apart when you try to slice it. When cooking H&F the temp when the meat is done is usually higher than at lower temps.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
BTW, dry brisket is usually undercooked. Overcooked brisket will fall apart when you try to slice it. When cooking H&F the temp when the meat is done is usually higher that at lower temps.
Good to know... I have been having issues with them probing good, but not being as tender as I would like. Thanks for the tip.
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
kylefisk
Got Wood.

Your temp and time should be fine for that size brisket. I tend to trim my briskets pretty lean but wrap it in butcher paper (or foil would work) for the last two hours. In effect it steams the meat and helps break it down and retain moisture. Then let sit until you can't resist any more. I also think taking it to 200+ is necessary to really render the fat within the meat. Keep in mind the brisket is the fattiest cut and there is a lot of fat other than what you see on the exterior. Otherwise the pics look great

Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
SDAR

Name/Nickname : Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Looks good to me, too. I always allow extra time. I prefer a two hour rest, but three or four hours won't hurt a thing.

BTW, dry brisket is usually undercooked. Overcooked brisket will fall apart when you try to slice it. When cooking H&F the temp when the meat is done is usually higher than at lower temps.
I'm with Ron on this one. HnF usually finish at a higher temperature for me. I've been as high as 210 before the feel is right.
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
JasonB
Found some matches.

I like some fat in my brisket. This one just seemed way too lean. It was trimmed down to no fat. Maybe I am associating that with dryness. It cut fine, pull test was good and bend test was good.

Two things I will definitely do next time. Foil at 160 and go with a fatter packer and use choice as well.

Thanks for the tips!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
JasonB
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAR View Post
I'm with Ron on this one. HnF usually finish at a higher temperature for me. I've been as high as 210 before the feel is right.
210 ? I would have never made it to 210 lol. I would have panicked for sure and had it off. I really like this style of cooking. Way better than being up all dang night and wore smooth out by the time guest shows up. I am going to practice it again this weekend. I have to cook 500 pounds (roughly 30 briskets) of brisket for our annual VFD fundraiser in less than a month. Would like to have this down by then to use on that cook.