• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Yoder YS640 for Comps

SCSmoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am looking at possibly investing in the YS640. Before I do I was hoping to get some input from you all.

How is the durability?
How is the mobility?
How do they cook?
Is there enough room(with both racks) to do a full comp(minus chicken)?
How does it hold temp?
Where is the best place to get one(I live in Chicago)?
For those of you that have had this and other pellets, why is it better or worse than your other one?

As always thank you all for sharing you input!!

I am looking at possibly investing in the YS640. Before I do I was hoping to get some input from you all.

How is the durability?
How is the mobility?
How do they cook?
How does it hold temp?
For those of you that have had this and other pellets, why is it better or worse than your other one?

As always thank you all for sharing you input!!

How is the durability?

I have the 640 regular (non-comp cart) and it is solid as steel. I think the comp cart is even better made for comp cooking. I'm sure you wouldn't have any issues.

How is the mobility?

Get the comp cart and there shouldn't be any issues at all.

How do they cook?

Not sure what you are asking. They cook pretty much like all pellet cookers do. It does keep consistent temps throughout.

Depends on how much pork, brisket, and ribs you cook for comps. If you are cooking 2 butts, 2 briskets, and 2-3 racks of ribs a comp, that is no problem for the 640. Plenty of room in there.

How does it hold temp?

Holds temp fine once it reaches the desired temp. Cold, wind, and rain for mine seems to take a while to get up to the desired temp.

Call Yoder and have them ship you one right to your front door.

It is very durable. It's pretty maintenance free. I just make sure and clean it up after every use. It does eat a lot of pellets because it is made from heavy steel and that takes a lot to heat up and keep hot. There is a lot I like about it from the smoker standpoint. It's pretty much a set it and forget smoker. It will drop a beautiful smoke ring on briskets. As a "grill" though I am not that impressed with it. It says it can go as high as 500+ degrees but I have yet to see that. Also when you are grilling, it just doesn't put any smoke flavor on the meat because the pellets are burning so hot and fast they don't have time to smolder. Just my .02

Don't know much about the Yoder, but when I was looking at a pellet, I was looking at the Memphis. I picked Ron L's brain and has said he loves his, I think he has Memphis Pro. They have a place in Lisle and Naperville called the Fire Place & Chimney Authority that sells the Memphis Advantage @ $1529 and you won't have to pay shipping and handling. Ron says it's double walled and holds heat extremely well. Just share my what I learned. They also have Chris Marks (8X Royal Champ) teaching a ribs and chicken class this month for $75.

To add to the memphis suggestion, Tippy Canoe BBQ team just won the 2011 royal and the Sams Club Tour with using a Memphis.

To add to the memphis suggestion, Tippy Canoe BBQ team just won the 2011 royal and the Sams Club Tour with using a Memphis.
The Memphis in my price range looks to be a bit to small. I know that it has the ability to increase cooking space by adding some optional grates but it looks like it would be cramped. Also all that stainless would be a pain to keep clean.
The problem with buying from a local retailer is paying tax. That amount usually covers the shipping.

But what meat or meats are they cooking on their Memphis? They use a Backwoods, also.

I picked up a 640 and plan on using it for 3 meats this season. Still learning it but cooked some killer ribs on the Yoder today.

What is the smoke level in comparison to a Memphis, MAK, or FEC100. I know some pellets are stronger than others, how would you rate the Yoder?

I picked up a Yoder YS640 with comp cart in January. Haven't used it in a comp yet, but it is built like a tank! It looks like it will last forever. I have been practicing primarily chicken on it and it cooks the heck out of chicken at high temps.

Toad

I did a quick cook on my Yoder 640 last week. I like it! Did not get the competition cart, but it's plenty sturdy on the regular one. I think it'd do 3 competition meats easily and all 4 would not be impossible. I really like the adjustable damper thing -- very useful for low & slow.

I've got to respond to whoever above said that all pellet cookers cook the same. This is not true! Currently I have (and use) eight different pellet cooking devices. Like any other cooker, each one has it's own quirks and standouts, strenghths and weaknesses.

With this pellet smoker, do you find that it gives you enough smoke, or do you have to modify it by adding a wood chunk cage above the burn pit? I've always been turned away from pellet smokers because people say the smoke level is really low.

With this pellet smoker, do you find that it gives you enough smoke, or do you have to modify it by adding a wood chunk cage above the burn pit? I've always been turned away from pellet smokers because people say the smoke level is really low.

I've been impressed with the thin blue smoke that the YS640 puts out at 250. None of the pellet cookers are going to put out much smoke at higher temps because the fan will produce so much oxygen to the fuel that it becomes too efficient to produce somke which is actually wasted heat.

I do have the cage on my FEC and it works wonders in that fashion as well.

I had no idea the comp cart was a $600 option. Is the comp cart really worth it?

I can't see that being worth it at all. Other than looks and the rugged tires, it doesn't look like there is an advantage to it. But that's just looking at it.

The cart is very well built and has a "Jambo" Quality Paint Job. The metal is heavy guage and the wheels are all terrain with grease zerts etc. With the cost of the YS640 being so afforadable, this cart is worth every penny if you are going to be loading and transporting frequently to comps.

If its going to live on your patio, then save your money the standard cart is sufficient.

Back