MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
TELL YOU WHAT BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Default BEST COMP as Spectator

Sorry...to 'interrupt' the JACK ANXIETY!! IF, and I understand WHY NO ONE would WANT TO DO THIS!! you could attend ONE EVENT AS A SPECTATOR -

- Which would it be??? Jack, AR or MIM???

Say, for example, you were hangin with the MRS. for a weekend of BBQ and BEVS (other than standing in your driveway doing the same thing!) -- WHICH EVENT would be your preference??

[/COLOR] [/B][B]RUB IT
SMOKE IT
PULL IT[/B]!
- KCBS Judge #21965
TELL YOU WHAT BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm gonna say the AR. There is plenty to do and see even if you do not know a team to hang with. keith

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

As a competitor I want to cook the Jack. If I'm going to party and just hang out it's absolutely The Royal.

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Troy
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
TELL YOU WHAT BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Been to Troy...ahh, the irony..

{photo J. Kennard}

[/COLOR] [/B][B]RUB IT
SMOKE IT
PULL IT[/B]!
- KCBS Judge #21965

Last edited by TELL YOU WHAT BBQ; 08-31-2012 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: add
TELL YOU WHAT BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Belair MD is cool.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

I haven't been to the Royal but I had a BLAST at MIM, but I hung with a team, otherwise it would'nt have been nearly as entertaining...

Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Hogtie N' Ride
Knows what a fatty is.

Been to both the Royal and the Jack, we seem to find our way to the Jack more often then the Royal, but both are awsome.
Hogtie N' Ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtie N' Ride View Post
Been to both the Royal and the Jack, we seem to find our way to the Jack more often then the Royal, but both are awsome.
The coolest comp we do every year is Madison IN. Awsome blues bands, Awsome setting. And for some reason the alcahol (sp) flows like nowhere I've ever been!!.......when I quit doing comps I will still do this one untill I die!!!

Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

The Royal. My absolute favorite. The Jack is in the conversation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I've been to MIM and The Jack multiple times as a "spectator," and I would recommend MIM for the following reasons: You're allowed to drink in public without the police sniffing your cup. There's more entertainment. More teams to see. You stand a better chance of being invited in to a party. On the down side with MIM, Parking's an expensive pain, when it's at Tom Lee Park, there's a LOT of walking. About a mile from end to end. It's almost always way too muddy and you have to pay to get in.

The Jack does have a few things going for it. Parking is easier, and it's easy to do close. It's also free to get in to The Jack. While there've been muddy years at The Jack, it's nothing like Tom Lee Park a couple weeks after Music Fest. If you find a team to hang out with, you won't get kicked out at midnight. It's easier to walk around, but there are less vendors and things to do. There's also a lot less going on outside of the event. MIM is downtown, right off of Beale St, and their bars are open till 5:00 (AM). The Jack is in a dry county, and I don't think there's much a night life.

Just my thoughts. Never been to the Royal.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I really liked visiting the Jack last year as a spectator. Did the distillery tour, ate as Ms. Mary Bobo's, shopped at the downtown shops, bugged the NEBS teams, and got to watch Smokin' Hoggz win it all.

I wasn't sure what to expect as a my first time as a spectator, but I was there two days..and it was more fun than I thought it would be. Looking forward to heading back there as a competitor this year.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

The Royal is a much better contest to be a spectator than the Jack for many of the reasons already mentioned. While many teams .have been known to have a really good time @ The Jack, it's nowhere near the party that the Royal is.

I've not been to MIM yet but it is on my short list. There are also a couple of other contests down south I've heard are a good party like the Big Pig Jig and The Best of the Best in GA that I have heard are are a good party and spectator friendly.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
dhuffjr
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by INmitch View Post
The coolest comp we do every year is Madison IN. Awsome blues bands, Awsome setting.
x2 on Madison. We really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to see if the Cincinnati folks put something similar together.