Tel-Tru vs TP20 accuracy’s or better combo

patriotn11

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a new LoneStar Grillz branded tru-tel thermometer for a restored LSG offset smoker! I also bought a thermo pro TP20 Wifi and I have done 2 long smokes with them! The TP20 always seems 30-50 degrees higher, so is the Tel-Tru usually accurate out of the box or maybe the TP20 is off!

Any input thanks, I may just get a Fireboard thermometer, the TP20 is good but I don’t like that it doesn’t stay lit when watching the temps and it seems way off!

Last edited:
thanks for the great reply's, so the Tru-Tel should be out of the box good to go, correct!

Last edited:
Hello all,

I bought a new LoneStar Grillz branded tru-tel thermometer for a restored LSG offset smoker! I also bought a thermo pro TP20 Wifi and I have done 2 long smokes with them! The TP20 always seems 30-50 degrees higher, so is the Tel-Tru usually accurate out of the box or maybe the TP20 is off!

Were the two probes in the same location? If not, that may account for the temperature difference.
It might be interesting to lash the TP20 probe to the Tel Tru so that the two tips are side by side, then compare the readings.

Were the two probes in the same location? If not, that may account for the temperature difference.
It might be interesting to lash the TP20 probe to the Tel Tru so that the two tips are side by side, then compare the readings.

thanks,

yes one probe was on top rack and the other on the middle rack but both where centered in middle of chamber lined up with the TelTru!

24x40 LSG offset!

I wouldnt really call that "the same place" when the probe from the Tel Tru's may extend a few inches into the cook chamber from the door while the wired probe may have been more towards the middle of the grate. That being said I've always found my Tel Tru's and remote probe from my Flame Boss or Chef Alarm to be close enough on my Shirley to not give any difference in readings too much thought. I mainly rely on the Flame Boss probes for remote monitoring of the pit to let me know when it's time to feed a log if I'm wrapped up in something else. In that case I'm just looking for peaks and valleys of the sine wave and still go by whatever my TT's say to tell me if my fire need a to be bigger or smaller.

Last edited:
I’ve bought several Tel Tru’s, all dead accurate out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But they can drift over time, so you should check it occasionally. I'm assuming you've got one of the models with the adjusting nut behind the dial. I think all of the Tel-Tru's have that.

But they can drift over time, so you should check it occasionally. I'm assuming you've got one of the models with the adjusting nut behind the dial. I think all of the Tel-Tru's have that.

Some Tel Trus can be adjusted/calibrated, but many, if not most of them cannot be. That said, I have several of them, and none have ever needed to be calibrated.

Didn't Reagan say "Trust- but verify"?

Honestly tho - say both of them are "dead nuts" accurate- if you have them reporting temps from different locations, you are likely to get different readings.

Didn't Regan say "Trust but verify"?

Honestly - even if both are dead nuts accurate, if you have them in different locations, you might well get different readings.

I don’t believe mine can be calibrated. I do test them from time to time against my Smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some Tel Trus can be adjusted/calibrated, but many, if not most of them cannot be. That said, I have several of them, and none have ever needed to be calibrated.

I have one on the BGE for over 10 years, and it hasn't needed calibration either. A fine piece of equipment.

It would seem that you have a temp difference up and down which is not uncommon in off-sets. The heat wants to stay higher up in the cook chamber. Put your remote probe on the bottom (below your cooking rack) and you might be surprised by the difference. I often hold food down there in pans to keep it warm.
all that being said they are probably both right on or close to it. I would trust the Tel-tru over anything digital but that's just me.

Here is the Tel-Tru, ThermoPro TP20 and M4 readings in Hot and Cold test! I can't tell on the Tel-Tru what the cold reading is!

How do they look, for some how during the cooks the ThermoPro is always between 20-50 higher and dont know if its the T-T of thermoPro that is off but the testing seems the same!

T-T hot and cold

ThermoPro both probes seemed about even!

M4

Hot 211
Cold 32

Last edited:
Well - I'd think that pretty much settles it.

Take what you now know and go for it.

Back