how I reverse sear

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
do what works for you. I do what works for me. thin steaks get the 7 minute steak method treatment. nice thick steaks and chops or roasts I prefer the control I get with a reverse sear.

I like to start ahead of time and season early, give time for it to act like a dry brine. thicker the meat the more liberal I get with the rub.

for those who dont know reverse sear is cooking to temp first and then searing at the end of the cook. It's best to cook as low as you can for the first portion of the cook and hot as possible for the sear. choose your cooker wisely, sometimes a combination of cookers can work best.

I prefer to start low. under 275 is good, 250 is better. if my cooker can run clean there I'll go 225 or lower. it helps with even cooking and tenderizing. a proper thermometer helps alot but so does proper technique. poor placement can lead to misreadings. sometimes I'll use a leave in to get me close but it the thermapen that says it's done. insert the probe into the center of the meat and wait for it to stabilize. slowly push it in a little further and then begin to draw it out pausing for temperature changes and noting the lowest temp displayed. I pull between 125-130

when you reach your desired internal temp pull the meat off the heat and let rest while you get to sear temperature. it's fine to wait 10 minutes or so with large cuts they will stay hot. the low cooking temps limit carry over and bullseye effect. sear lid open over an open flame for 1-3 minutes a side, flipping based on color and crust. when everything looks good take it off and serve.

tonight I used my el cheapo pit boss pellet cooker with searing zone. I seasoned a tri tip liberally with a 50/50 mix of oakridge santa maria and carne crosta and cooked at 225 pit temp to an IT of 125. it's as simple as sliding the plate over and cranking it up to 450. by the time the roast rested ot was up to temp. about 90 seconds per side developed a lovely crust. I served it with roasted root vegetables and creamy horseradish sauce

I use a Weber Chimney starter with a crazy thick SS Kenmore grate. A london broil steak would sear in 1 min per side, then into the oven @ 250 till it reached 130F.

do what works for you. I do what works for me. thin steaks get the 7 minute steak method treatment. nice thick steaks and chops or roasts I prefer the control I get with a reverse sear.

I like to start ahead of time and season early, give time for it to act like a dry brine. thicker the meat the more liberal I get with the rub.

for those who dont know reverse sear is cooking to temp first and then searing at the end of the cook. It's best to cook as low as you can for the first portion of the cook and hot as possible for the sear. choose your cooker wisely, sometimes a combination of cookers can work best.

I prefer to start low. under 275 is good, 250 is better. if my cooker can run clean there I'll go 225 or lower. it helps with even cooking and tenderizing. a proper thermometer helps alot but so does proper technique. poor placement can lead to misreadings. sometimes I'll use a leave in to get me close but it the thermapen that says it's done. insert the probe into the center of the meat and wait for it to stabilize. slowly push it in a little further and then begin to draw it out pausing for temperature changes and noting the lowest temp displayed. I pull between 125-130

when you reach your desired internal temp pull the meat off the heat and let rest while you get to sear temperature. it's fine to wait 10 minutes or so with large cuts they will stay hot. the low cooking temps limit carry over and bullseye effect. sear lid open over an open flame for 1-3 minutes a side, flipping based on color and crust. when everything looks good take it off and serve.

tonight I used my el cheapo pit boss pellet cooker with searing zone. I seasoned a tri tip liberally with a 50/50 mix of oakridge santa maria and carne crosta and cooked at 225 pit temp to an IT of 125. it's as simple as sliding the plate over and cranking it up to 450. by the time the roast rested ot was up to temp. about 90 seconds per side developed a lovely crust. I served it with roasted root vegetables and creamy horseradish sauce

Beautiful cook!!

looks awesome, thanks for sharing! I have only tried Reverse sear a handful of times and haven't quite dialed in how long it takes to get to the 120-125. Usually when I cook steak I'm so hangry for it that I NEED it NOW. numnumnumnumnum
This will push me to do it more, thanks!

Great lesson on reverse sear! I've been playing with my GMG Daniel Boone doing reverse sear. I set the DB to 225, take the steaks to 115-120 internal, then sear on my gasser. Results have been great. A couple of nights ago, I cooked some 1.5" thick prime Porterhouse steaks but used the Performer. Not confident enough yet with my reverse sear technique to risk big, expensive steaks.

looks awesome, thanks for sharing! I have only tried Reverse sear a handful of times and haven't quite dialed in how long it takes to get to the 120-125. Usually when I cook steak I'm so hangry for it that I NEED it NOW. numnumnumnumnum
This will push me to do it more, thanks!

Great lesson on reverse sear! I've been playing with my GMG Daniel Boone doing reverse sear. I set the DB to 225, take the steaks to 115-120 internal, then sear on my gasser. Results have been great. A couple of nights ago, I cooked some 1.5" thick prime Porterhouse steaks but used the Performer. Not confident enough yet with my reverse sear technique to risk big, expensive steaks.

practice really does make perfect. once you get the hang of it you'll nail it every time. for me it's less stressful cooking a monster steak or roast reverse seared than a 1 inch thick market steak (I do have good results at 3.5 minutes a side on the kettle with those). kettle and pellet cooker makes for a nice combo. the low cook temp and rest before searing helps prevent dreaded carryover.

Perfectly cooked That is good Eats Thanks for the write up

thanks George. plenty of times I've done a tutorial write up and received a pm in regards to it helping members. we are all at different points in our cooking and it's easy to forget that at one time we didn't know how to reverse sear, cut st louis ribs or trim a brisket. as fast as this board moves there is always someone looking to learn the basics and some tutorials can be hard to find.

I feel like it's a way to give back.

Oh Man that looks Great! Anything less than 1.5" thick gets seared at 600-700*F. Any over get it done like yours. Never forget the rest after they hit 120-125 mark for about 10 mins before the final HH reverse sear. :thumb:

Excellent.

Beautiful hunk-o-beef. Absolutely love the 50/50 Oakridge Santa Maria / Carne Crosta combo! Plated grub looks wonderful.

Tri-Tips are difficult to come-about in these parts... (cowtown, USA... :roll:). Thus, I usually do thick ribeyes or such...

We all use slightly tweaked temps (for our own use/grills/whatnot)... but the concept is key.

Thanks for helping me embrace a new way. Damn, it's frickin' delicious!

Excellent.

Beautiful hunk-o-beef. Absolutely love the 50/50 Oakridge Santa Maria / Carne Crosta combo! Plated grub looks wonderful.

Tri-Tips are difficult to come-about in these parts... (cowtown, USA... :roll:). Thus, I usually do thick ribeyes or such...

We all use slightly tweaked temps (for our own use/grills/whatnot)... but the concept is key.

Thanks for helping me embrace a new way. Damn, it's frickin' delicious!

Oakridge makes some good stuff. The Santa Maria/carne crosta combo is by far my favorite steak rub. Tri tip is hard to find here and can run close to ribeye sale prices so I mostly do those myself. Still I get a hankering every now and then. I got this one from the local trader joes, I think restaurant depot has them but of course you have to buy in bulk.

Oh and weclome back

Back