MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Timmy Mac
Take a breath!

Default Leg of lamb??

My friend wants me to smoke a leg this weekend. I've never done it in a smoker,were also doing a whole lamb on a open spit.We got the spit down. I'm looking for some guidance and suggestions. I want to cook it medium well to well. Thanks

Old 10-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Never tried to cook lamb yet, but used the search at the bottom of the page and found this that looked really good:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=98634

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Have smoked a few legs that came out great. Deboned, butterflied, and stuffed

Not sure why you'd want one medium-well or well. Smoke to 130-135, let it rest, and it comes out perfect IMO

Old 10-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
snapper-G
Full Fledged Farker

food4thot, that is a beautiful piece of lamb!!!! And a beautiful avatar!
snapper-G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

If this is the first time I would:

1. Debone/butterfly it.
2. Use traditional lamby herbs like rosemary and garlic to marinate for several hours min.
3. Smoke for an hour 275/300 with some fruit wood like apple or cherry. Don't overdo the smoke.
4. Then grill both sides as required (5+ mins a side). You can sneak peeks at the meat with some small exploratory cuts if you are uncertain as to how cooked it is. A bit of charring is a good thing :-)
5. Note 1: Lamb is very juicy so don't overcook thinking the juice is indicative of being undercooked.
6. Note 2: I have found that because lamb has so much fat, if smoked only, the meat has a greasy/oily texture which isn't attractive. With the grill finish, this goes and you can get some delightful mixes of flavours and textures.

This gives a good result reliably every time for me. The butterflying gives a more even thickness of meat for your initial goes at cooking - later you can leave the bone in which is more challenging.

I did one on the weekend where I also thinly coated in Chinese cha siu, which gave it a really nice sweet something, but this kinda covers the beautiful flavour of properly cooked lamb.

Cut into small pieces, cold leftovers are a great addition to salads. Oh, the taste of cold lamb fat on a school lunch sandwich - takes me back 50 years.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Never tried to cook lamb yet, but used the search at the bottom of the page and found this that looked really good:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=98634
I have followed this method many times, minus the Scotch bonnets.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
robbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd do it like you would a roast beef. Smoke to a bit below your desired temp, sear to get a nice crust, then rest for 10-20 minutes before you slice. No need to overcook lamb, it is great rare or medium rare.
LBGE, WSM 18.5, Smokin-It Model #1, Napoleon Prestige Gas Grill, MHP Grill, [COLOR="purple"]Purple[/COLOR] and [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR] Thermapens
robbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

IMO, if you cook it to medium well or well you will have ruined it.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote