MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #76
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

One thing I would add in terms of the cost of a smoker. Because they are far more durable than many things you buy, the cost can be applied over a long number of years. My horizontal smoker is 25 years old, and my "new" vertical smoker -- which moved around the world with me over the years -- is 15 years old. So on a per-year basis the cost of a quality smoker is not high.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #77
The Shakar
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : The Shakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergenguy View Post
I'm not going wade into some of the debates from this thread, but since I was in the EXACT same position as you about two years ago. I will share my experience.

First to your question, my opinion is you can't go wrong with any of the three you mentioned. You really just need to figure out if you want RF or straight flow and how long you're willing to wait for it.

My experience is this. Prior to my stick burner, my smoking was done using the smoker box on my gasser (Weber Summit Gold D), which put out some tasty meat but it had its own idiosyncrasies and was limited in volume it could turn out easily. I had been toying with getting a big box offset for a while but was concerned with frustration level and how it might perform in colder temps (I'm in NJ and smoke all winter long) based on the thin metal and mass fabrication factors. The turning point for me was this: I had had a very good business year, and I did a 18lb brisket for a Xmas party for my wife's friends. The brisket came out so good and to such raves that my wife said I should get myself a higher end as an Xmas present and as a reward for a good year. So that's what I did. I decided I liked the idea of more even temps across the smoker so I looked at RF and models with tuning plate systems. I decided to go RF and narrowed my choices down to Lang and Johnson. In the end I chose the Johnson 2D patio ( 24x48 ) I liked how the RF is done through the use of a pipe section and in speaking with Chad I felt comfortable going with them. Being in Texas, this probably won't be an issue for you, but the fact that Johnson also arranged all the shipping for me made the purchase totally headache free (shipping 1000lb smokers to NJ can be expensive and difficult I've found out).

In the end, I have no regrets. Do I use it as much as I thought I would.. no. But I still use it enough to feel good about it. Ultimately it is a hobby, and what makes it a hobby is spending some amount of money you can afford on something that you probably don't really need. So I am satisfied with my purchase and love being able to do big Cooks with various meats. Going "all-in" worked for me, if I had gone the big box route I'd likely be frustrated but still using whatever I got since I hate getting rid of stuff through craigslist etc... and I couldn't justify getting a new nice smoker while I still had something that sorta-kinda worked alright but not great. If you search my username and/or Johnson on this forum you'll come across some posts I did with photos receiving and using the smoker. The best decision I made in the process was going with the larger smoker (I was toying with saving $$ and getting the smaller model). The one thing I'll add is that a stick burner is definitely not a set it and forget it operation, you'll need to check on it at least once an hour for the duration of your cook.

My two cents is that only you can know what level of risk is acceptable on whether you will like a stick burner or not and how much you're willing to shell out to find out.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
Thank you this is really helpful!
The Shakar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Off Set Smoker, smoker, Smoker comparison