MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
Mark In The Pit
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 72 Hour Sous Vide Top Round Steak

https://youtu.be/ZmV-CLR1RMQ

72 Hour Sous Vide Top Round Steak

Ingredients:
Top Round Steak
Salt
Pepper
Garlic

Balsamic Reduction:
2 Mushrooms
1 Thick Slice Of Onion
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinager
2 Tbsp White Wine
1 Tbsp Butter

Method:
Salt and pepper the top round steak. Crush the garlic and place on the top round steak. Place in bag and sous vide for 72 hours @ 140°F. When finished sous viding remove from bag and pat dry. Heat up the grill good and hot for a quick sear. While waiting for the grill to heat up prep the balsamic reduction. Slice the mushrooms and onion, toss them in a pan with balsamic vinegar and white wine. Once the balsamic and white wine reduces by half toss in the butter. Once the butter is fully melted you're ready to go. Once the grill is hot sear the top round steak on all sides. Turning about once every two minutes. Once you have a nice sear top with balsamic reduction and enjoy.

Notes:
This had a really great, soft, tender, moist, roast beefy type texture. Not exactly like roast beef. To me it's still kind of weird compared to other methods of preparation but the flavor and softness turned out exceptional. I have read of others comparing it to the tenderness of high end cuts of meat but it's nothing close to that. It tastes more like a piece of really soft roast beefy type meat that has been slow cooking for about three days. Very tasty.

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Thanks for sharing Mark.
My experience with round steak is as follows...
Pound the crap out of it and make chicken fried steak or steak fingers.
Long slow cook such as sous vide or long braise.

Round is tough and lean. A round roast can be roasted to 130ish and sliced ultra thin for great sandwich meat.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
smoke ninja

I'll have to try that reduction

I just did a top round in the sous vide Saturday. I only ran it 8 hours but it was still good. I picked up the roast on sale and a perfect example of how sous vide can "upsale" a lesser cut of meat.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
Mark In The Pit
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I just did a top round in the sous vide Saturday. I only ran it 8 hours but it was still good. I picked up the roast on sale and a perfect example of how sous vide can "upsale" a lesser cut of meat.
All the other attempts tasted good, just tougher than I'd like them to be :). Not sure if I've got weak teeth or lazy jaw, I just don't care for chewing too hard. What temp did you run at for the 8 hours? I'm still playing around with this and am trying to dial it in some what. If I could go higher for less time to get the same result that would in my mind be more efficient. I get impatient on those really long soaks lols.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark In The Pit View Post
All the other attempts tasted good, just tougher than I'd like them to be :). Not sure if I've got weak teeth or lazy jaw, I just don't care for chewing too hard. What temp did you run at for the 8 hours? I'm still playing around with this and am trying to dial it in some what. If I could go higher for less time to get the same result that would in my mind be more efficient. I get impatient on those really long soaks lols.
I did 128. Dropped it in frozen. This was a last minute thing. It wasn't fork tender, sliced thin it was more like steak texture. Not bad at $3/lbs

Old 11-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Man I just don't understand Sous Vide. The way I look at it is.... There's a reason for everything so there must be a reason why Sous Vide cooking is becoming popular (as far as I can tell recently)...

But........ I just can't imagine waiting 72 hrs to turn a so-so cut of meat into something. That's 3 days of waiting and saying "Damn I can't wait for my steak dinner" and 3 days later....

But then again the whole process has me intrigued. So far I've seen nothing but good things coming from Sous Vide but I'm not exactly sure who the device markets.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

To me, the tenderizing is a great thing. But even better is the time-shifting. It's like when they came out with the Tivo - you didn't have to be there at a specific time to get what you wanted to see. SV gives you more flex to do your cooks, while doing other stuff.

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
Man I just don't understand Sous Vide. The way I look at it is.... There's a reason for everything so there must be a reason why Sous Vide cooking is becoming popular (as far as I can tell recently)...

But........ I just can't imagine waiting 72 hrs to turn a so-so cut of meat into something. That's 3 days of waiting and saying "Damn I can't wait for my steak dinner" and 3 days later....

But then again the whole process has me intrigued. So far I've seen nothing but good things coming from Sous Vide but I'm not exactly sure who the device markets.
So you must not cure/corn anything which takes days to do. SV is a great addition and really transforms things. Every serious cook who loves food really should have one.
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeM1x View Post
So you must not cure/corn anything which takes days to do. SV is a great addition and really transforms things. Every serious cook who loves food really should have one.
Alot of my enjoyment comes from things that take time.

Cant make good bread without it. Curing and salami takes time. Cant say gardening gives immediete results......come to thing of it bbq isnt worth the wait now is?

The older i get the more patience i have for slow processes.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
crowd cow, Kamado, mark in the pit, Pit Boss, sous vide, Top Round, top round steak