First Cook on Queb'd Box Second Brisket Ever

OldGlory

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Cooked a flat on the Battle Box. Temps in the 20's at 8:00 am. Took 45 minutes to heat up to 250. Very little adjusting necessary once I got it stabilized. Held temp rock steady for 8 hours. Added another chimney of coal when temps started dropping. Cooked about 11 hours total after a long stall. Wrapped in foil after temp hit 155. Came out pretty good but not great. Very happy with the cooker. Made a nice smoke ring. Brisket was slightly dry but probably because I only rested an hour.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_29e7.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_29e7.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 316
  • fullsizeoutput_29ef.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_29ef.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 314
Looks good to me. How much fuel do you think you used?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Look's good in the picture. i'm curious if you had any other complaints other than it being a bit dry. Were you able to get good smoke flavor? I ask because I've now had three cooks on my Pint.

Look's good in the picture. i'm curious if you had any other complaints other than it being a bit dry. Were you able to get good smoke flavor? I ask because I've now had three cooks on my Pint.

Smoke was there but not over powering. Could have used a bit more but not much. Had a nice ring smoke flavor was balanced nicely with the rub. I've used too many chunks smoking in the BGE and didn't like the heavy smoke. This was my first cook and will dial in the ratio to chunks and lump. I used cherry and apple because that's what I had. Hickory might have brought more/stronger smoke to the party.

Overall I was amazed how easy it was to dial in temp and hold it.

Are you not getting enough smoke?

Looks incredible! Have you tried injecting? Butchers bbq makes a great brisket injection

Ribs on the Battle Box

Ribs came out pretty good on the BB. Rubbed with Secret Weapon. Cooked 4-5 hours then wrapped with brown sugar for an hour. I am digging this smoker!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2a07.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2a07.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 144

Cooked some wings and Moink Balls today. Last cook I made ribs and they definitely lacked smoke. I emailed Humphreys and asked how they set up the wood chunks. The used 3-4 fist sized chunks per load. I had split the chunks up to spread them around last cook.

This time I left them whole and placed them closer to the start of the lighted coals. Worked much better. Wings were very smokey.

Not as much as I'd like but I'm using apple (because that's what I've got). I''m going to start trying some other woods and am thinking of mesquite or hickory.

Great Point! Apple has a mild smoke. One thing you can also try is closing down the advance air flow plate inside the cook chamber. It's the plate against the back wall. Try 1/2 hole adjustments at a time. Closing off the air flow slightly will slow down how fast the air moves inside your smoker keeping the smoke inside your cook chamber longer.

I would also experiment with other woods just as hickory and oak.

Cooked some wings and Moink Balls today. Last cook I made ribs and they definitely lacked smoke. I emailed Humphreys and asked how they set up the wood chunks. The used 3-4 fist sized chunks per load. I had split the chunks up to spread them around last cook.

This time I left them whole and placed them closer to the start of the lighted coals. Worked much better. Wings were very smokey.

This is also another great point! To receive the most amount of smoke, you want to make sure the chunks are in the area of where the lit charcoal is so that you send a burst of smoke in the first hours of your cook. You want to make sure the smoke penetrates the meat early on in your cook for best results.

Back