MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #12091
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim timmens View Post
I am currently building my first UDS. I live in the UK and am struggling to find steel nipples at any of my local hardware stores.

Would using brass nipples be a problem?

Thanks
steel nipples will rust if you do not keep them oiled. IMHO Brass is a better nipple (and cap), but cost more. The nipples are below the fire and do not get hot - they barely get warm. I have used PVC fittings on the outside of the nipple without heat issues.

That said, Others have just used flexible magnets (refrigerator magnets usually given away free because they contain a companies contact information). Hard to get cheeper than free - plus you don't have to worry about the ball valve either. They might have a little higher learning curve on adjusting temp - but that is probably the only drawback.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #12092
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Slider Vent intakes.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #12093
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Is there a good place to buy slider vents
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #12094
coachmccoy543
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Slide Intake

Here is what I currently use and make. I use 1/16 aluminum for the plate with some 1/2 w x 1/16 t for a gasket around 3 sides so the slider has a place to slide. For the slider I use something thinner than 1/16.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide Intake 1.jpg (112.0 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg Slide Intake 2.jpg (98.9 KB, 626 views)
File Type: jpg Slide Intake 3.jpg (106.7 KB, 626 views)
coachmccoy543 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #12095
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstomper View Post
Big Poppas

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...rum-smoker-kit

Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #12096
DMP
Knows what a fatty is.

Temp control: My UDS is seasoning right now and I have noticed spikes in temp. Seems like every time the smoke picks up the temp spikes. I assume the hot coals have made it to one of the wood chunks which is causing the smoke to pick up.
Reckon the wood is just burning that hot to cause the spike in temp? I watched it one time go up 50 degrees in less than a min. That's with one 3/4 ball valve open and with three 3/4 exhaust pipes open.

Now I haven't purchased a thermometer yet. Plan on going digital and still looking. Watching the temp right now with my deep fryer thermometer.

Thoughts?
DMP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #12097
hogs122
Full Fledged Farker

Is it windy? With 4 intakes open, you should be running well over 300 degrees. I'd suspect to see a big spike with a gust of wind, considering all the intakes are open.
hogs122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #12098
DMP
Knows what a fatty is.

Only one intake is open. All of the exhaust are open. Not windy.

I'm using mesquite chunks which I normally don't smoke with. Normally use hickory but had some old mesquite in the shop and figured I would use it to season the UDS with.

Does mesquite just burn that much hotter?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #12099
Smoking Pill Doc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Kamado Joe's are $24 each.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #12100
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

thanks guys, I found the big papa ones after my above post but buy the time they get to me up here in canada they will be quite expensive. I will have more into the vents than the whole rest of the smoker. LOL.
I like your idea coachmccoy. Looks easy to make.
Anyone try the pie plate on the bottom of the drum for intake air. Basicly similar to the exhaust vent on the weber lid but bigger. Wonder how efficient that would be.

EDIT:
Just found the link below. This is what I am talking about. seems to work good according to the post. I have 2 stainless pieplates coming from amazon.ca so I will give it a try and let you guys know. I seem to get some water/condensation in the bottom of my drum after a cook so maybe this will be an easy wat to empty it instead of going through the top of the drum. The legs(bolts) from the charcoal basket to the ash pan will have to go through the ash pan buy a couple inches to keep it off the bottom of the drum so air can flow into the drum. Should work
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=82554

Last edited by bstomper; 07-24-2014 at 08:30 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #12101
DMP
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks like the temps have settled down here the last two hrs. They were up and down the first two hrs but nothing that would hurt a cook. Since then the UDS has held steady at 275 with no adjustments. Wish I could stay up all night and watch it. Will check it in the morning to see if its still holding any temp. Started it at 7:00 this evening. Will get up at 6:00 in the morning to check it before work.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #12102
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Pill Doc View Post
Kamado Joe's are $24 each.
Link ?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #12103
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP View Post
Looks like the temps have settled down here the last two hrs. They were up and down the first two hrs but nothing that would hurt a cook. Since then the UDS has held steady at 275 with no adjustments. Wish I could stay up all night and watch it. Will check it in the morning to see if its still holding any temp. Started it at 7:00 this evening. Will get up at 6:00 in the morning to check it before work.
How long of burn did you do. Make sure your lid is on tight.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #12104
DMP
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
How long of burn did you do. Make sure your lid is on tight.
Lid is good. Started it at 6:30 yesterday evening. Took probably 2 hrs to get the temp regulated. After that it ran like a caddy. Got up at midnight and it was still holding at 275. At 6:30 this morning it was down to 200.

The basket I used is small. 12" tall but only 8" wide. Going to do another test run today before doing any cooking on it.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #12105
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Gotta like that performance. It just boggles my mind how efficient a tin drum with a few ball valves can be. Simply amazing.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker