• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Good to know. I was curious how many cans I would need. I'll plan on 4 ... Hopefully more it not needed. Are you doing clear coat on your drum?

Anyone in the UK know of a cheap source of stainless steel expanded metal?

I am getting silly, silly prices from all builders merchants I have called :mad2:

Thought I should add mine to the growing family! I just built two. If you're in the UK, BES plumbing supplies is where i got all the intake parts. You can see what i used in my thread here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194418

I didn't do anything fancy other than silicone probe grommets but will probably add some side handles, maybe wheels, and a white stencilled design. I also can't decide whether to add a weber lid or not.

Thanks for all the information.

Just Built My First UDS

Just built My first UDS. I put casters on it, but not sure they're worth the trouble. First cook was also my first fatty. Here's the Pr0n:
01. Jimmy Dean Sausage
02. Caramelized onion
03. Italian 5 cheese blend
04. Fire-roasted jalapenos, peeled and seeded
05. Bacon!
06. A rolled Fatty
07. Going to the smoker.
08. A smoked Fatty
09. Inside the Fatty
10. My new Ugly Drum Smoker

Attachments

• Fatty 01.jpg
    Fatty 01.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 744
  • Fatty 02.jpg
    Fatty 02.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 743
  • Fatty 03.jpg
    Fatty 03.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 735
  • Fatty 04.jpg
    Fatty 04.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 740
  • Fatty 05.jpg
    Fatty 05.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 736
  • Fatty 06.jpg
    Fatty 06.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 736
  • Fatty 07.jpg
    Fatty 07.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 733
  • Fatty 08.jpg
    Fatty 08.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 731
  • Fatty 09.jpg
    Fatty 09.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 735
  • New UDS 1.jpg
    New UDS 1.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 734
Anyone in the UK know of a cheap source of stainless steel expanded metal?

I am getting silly, silly prices from all builders merchants I have called :mad2:

Have you not considered using a washing machine drum? It's all pretty much done for you then. Mine cost £5 (should be able to pick one up for less than a tenner). Drilled a few holes in the bottom for the ash to fall, but other than that it's good to go.

Have you not considered using a washing machine drum? It's all pretty much done for you then. Mine cost £5 (should be able to pick one up for less than a tenner). Drilled a few holes in the bottom for the ash to fall, but other than that it's good to go.

Will have a look near my local scrapyard. Nothing loose by trying it.

Will have a look near my local scrapyard. Nothing loose by trying it.

Or jump on free cycle - fair few old washing machines on there.
EBay actually have them under the BBQ section.
Only mod I did to mine was drill 1" holes in the bottom and add a handle from a cheap bucket.

Good luck!

Just got my drum back from getting powder coated. Looks great. Holes go in it tomorrow. Would have preferred to do the holes first and powder coating second, but the timing had to work this way.

20140802_171845_zps42wapm7j.jpg

as valves to regulate the ribs do not burn and smoke may well
I forgive the English I am from Puerto Rico

Here you go. Pick your size. I think the 3" is perfect.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=river%20country%20thermometer&sprefix=river+country%2Caps%2C202&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ariver%20country%20thermometer"]Amazon.com: river country thermometer@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/619Nwpz5W-L.@@AMEPARAM@@619Nwpz5W-L[/ame]

question

just finished building a new UDS. painted black and gold with the Steelers logo on the front came out pretty cool. I'm enjoying building these things. But I don't need to have more than one.I have some friends are looking for them but I don't know what to charge them.I painted it with two coats of engine primer in high gloss black barbecue grill paint along with VHT paint on logo. To risers with valves. Any thoughts I think I cook better than a WSM. and they cost $399. But I think they have a ceramic coating. Any thoughts?
Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by my asking. Honestly into it for about 150 with new grate and fire bucket materials.

Those with flat-lids that have threaded bungs...

I am having trouble finding threaded pipe to go in the larger of the two bungs. I didn't measure it, yet, but I think it is 2 1/4". I took the threaded stopper up to Lowe's and couldn't find anything close to that size. Ideally, I'd get a 2 1/4" pipe nipple, add a 90-degree elbow to it, then get a plug.

Where do I go for this?

*Not interested in drilling additional holes in the lid and I'm not interested in a domed lid, either.

Back