Brisket Troubleshooting

I guarantee you, if your probe is correct, you have a packer cut, you take brisket off cooker as soon as the internal temp reaches 192, probe is in meat and not a fat pocket, you wrap in foil, place in an ice chest without ice, fill up empty space with towels, take it out 4-12 hours later, you will have a perfect brisket. I've done dozens that way. If you mess up and take it out at195 it will ready ready after 1 hour just being wrapped in foil. If you were to hold it in the igloo overnight it would be mush. Either your probe was broke, or not properly placed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I guarantee you, if your probe is correct, you have a packer cut, you take brisket off cooker as soon as the internal temp reaches 192, probe is in meat and not a fat pocket, you wrap in foil, place in an ice chest without ice, fill up empty space with towels, take it out 4-12 hours later, you will have a perfect brisket. I done dozens that way. If you mess up and take it out at195 it will ready ready after 1 hour just being wrapped in foil.

I know my thermos are correct, and I have to say, this seems like it is not right. I too have done a lot of briskets, and my experience tells me that some were not done at 192F, not even close. Of course, I do not wrap in foil, I prefer to run no wrap or butcher paper, and I cook hot. But, that is one of the reasons I think you just have to learn feel. I would say, I don't think it is that hard to learn.

I guarantee you, if your probe is correct, you have a packer cut, you take brisket off cooker as soon as the internal temp reaches 192, probe is in meat and not a fat pocket, you wrap in foil, place in an ice chest without ice, fill up empty space with towels, take it out 4-12 hours later, you will have a perfect brisket. I done dozens that way. If you mess up and take it out at195 it will ready ready after 1 hour just being wrapped in foil.

So if I use your method and it isn't perfect, you'll cover the cost of my cook? Sweet! I'll send you a bill...soon.

but you can see how thick I had to slice this one to keep it together

12-16-12050bbbb.jpg

Too bad you couldn't get much of a smoke ring....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Did this brisket ever see any Tender Quick?

Yep, probing is the best way. I can honestly say 'feels like butter' is something I've never experienced, and I suspect one that tender might fall apart coming off the pit.... So, the description I use is "as tender as a baked potato that is almost done". You will feel a little resistance going in and coming back out too. I start probing around 190°., and use a fat probe like an ice pick or a small diamether wooden chopstick. Many of mine are over 205° before they are right. I still overcook one on occasion. Excuse the white balance on this indoor shot on a red cutting board... but you can see how thick I had to slice this one to keep it together

12-16-12050bbbb.jpg

Back