• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ribs: Who gets Em All From The Same Slab? And Who Mixes And Matches?

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Curious to see what the preferences are and why. I know you have to mix and match when doing the "Hollywood Cut".

Rather than cutting ribs midway between bones, the cut is made close to the adjacent bones in order to yield a rib with more meat on each side, that is a hollywood cut.

I try to get all the ribs for turn in from one slab, makes for a prettier box (after I made d@mn sure that they are cut all the way thru).

One slab to rule them all

More often than not there is one slab that stands out in terms of taste and tenderness combined, and I get as many good ribs out of that as I can. Usually I go with 8 ribs ni the box, so I end up having to take a couple from another rack. Those go on the bottom level (I stack 4 over 4), so I know at least 4 judges will be getting the ribs from the best rack. If none of the other racks are in the same ballpark, I only hand in six ribs.

Brett

Kcbs one slab. Fba 2 or 3 slabs as you may turn 12 to 15 ribs. 13 today

I'm guessing that the hollywood cut was a fad that didn't stay popular for too long in KCBS based on what I've been reading.

Same rack (hopefully). If I can get 5 bones put together and 1 bone from another rack that I place on its' side I'm good too.

Same rack when at all possible. We shoot for 7 ribs in a box, at least 5 in a row together, so those 5 we always take from the same.

what do you guys do about the bones that start curving instead of going straight? I guess you just slice all the way through and then lay them in the box just as you sliced them so they look like one slab (being sure that they are sliced through all the way).

Mix n match. I cut all the slabs at the same time and set aside the bones that look the best. Then, I take the 6-8 that are the most uniform. I did a Hollywood Cut last time and may do it again next comp. I'll have to wait and see.

I try to get them all out of the best slab.... and will only use another slab if I am desperate....

Back