WSM stick burner update:

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
After many tests I found the only way this works is if you have the door off and you use splits that are not thicker than 2 inches. the problem with this type of cooking is when the sticks catch on fire after laying them on a hot bed of coals you get huge temperature swings the lowest I was able to get it was 317 degrees and that's really playing with the size of the wood and almost letting the calls burnout. I don't see how Harry Soo could have possibly done this. I' seriously think he is full of it. I tried with the door off and I also tried the door on with a wood chunk wedged under the dome to give a little more. When I tried the method of the door on it's smelter the wood and put the fire out. Maybe I could have put a bigger wood Chunk in there to give it even more air. I don't know

Another theory... This was B&B Post oak. Is there a huge difference between naturally cured Wood versus wood dried with a kiln? A lot of this wood was very hard almost like petrified or even rocks. I only use b&b chunks briquettes and lump... this is the first time I bought a bag of split wood by them. maybe the wood that Harry Soo gets from that wood distributor in California is better. Maybe get a fire pit and burn a bunch of wood and shovel hot coals in there? All of this curiosity came from trying to get the absolute best cleanest blue smoke because we know that briquettes and lump can be a little dirty. I know one thing, I'm not going to risk ruining brisket and ribs this weekend trying this method. Maybe another time if I can get my hands on some high-quality Post oak then I'll go that route.... Or, I just get me a real damn stick burner LOL

7N9B8bn.jpg

Use a quality lump charcoal and a modest amount of wood chips or chunks and you will have clean smoke. Run it at 275* Kiln dried just means it has a lower moisture content and burns easier. Greener wood is only going to compound your problems.

In summary, charcoal in a charcoal cooker and sticks in a stick burner :thumb:

Use a quality lump charcoal and a modest amount of wood chips or chunks and you will have clean smoke. Run it at 275* Kiln dried just means it has a lower moisture content and burns easier. Greener wood is only going to compound your problems.

In summary, charcoal in a charcoal cooker and sticks in a stick burner :thumb:

I find lump charcoal to be inconsistent as far as temperature swings go. If your range is between 250 and 300 degrees then I guess you're all right but if it's really windy outside that lump charcoal can get hotter than red hellfire. I really like being B&B briquettes. Very consistent and has a long burn time. I do think that lump Burns cleaner for sure.

Last edited:
I'm kinda confused. This experiment is novel and diferent but you are trying to burn split wood in a cooker designed for charcoal and wood chunks. Wouldn't it be easier to just follow the manufacturers recommendation? I'm just trying to understand why you've taken this route on a cooker not designed to do this. No offense intended.

I find lump charcoal to be inconsistent as far as temperature swings go. If your range is between 250 and 300 degrees then I guess you're all right but if it's really windy outside that lump charcoal can get hotter than red hellfire. I really like being B&B briquettes. Very consistent and has a long burn time. I do think that lump Burns cleaner for sure.

I often used a temp controller on mine, which kept all intakes closed but the one covered by the fan outlet and then set the exhaust to some reasonable level, so it wasn’t really subject to temp fluctuations from things like wind. Placing the lump chunks into the basket with some thought helps too. It’s possible to get a clean burn and light smoke profile on WSM, but it will never produce the same tasting food that a quality stick burner will. Believe me, I tried....and then I bought a stick burner.

I'm kinda confused. This experiment is novel and diferent but you are trying to burn split wood in a cooker designed for charcoal and wood chunks. Wouldn't it be easier to just follow the manufacturers recommendation? I'm just trying to understand why you've taken this route on a cooker not designed to do this. No offense intended.

I'm with you on this one. For those old enough to remember it would be like trying to modify a Ford Pinto to race against Formula 1 race car.
In other words I think attempts to get a WSM to operate like a stick burner will be fruitless and futile at best.

be fruitless and futile at best.[/QUOTE]

Gotta wonder how many people said the very same thing to those two bicycle builders from Dayton?

I'm with you on this one. For those old enough to remember it would be like trying to modify a Ford Pinto to race against Formula 1 race car.
In other words I think attempts to get a WSM to operate like a stick burner will be fruitless and futile at best.

Well... A world champion that has a garage slap full of trophies used the WSM 22 as a stick burner. that's where I got the idea in most of his information is very helpful. This time around... not so much. you live and your learn. I still think you can use this as a stick burner but it takes a lot more work

Last edited:
Do you leave the door off? If so, you are introducing a ton of air. I'm guessing Harry had a temp controlled fan on his rig. Have not seen the vid though.

I have seen Harry's vid before. Very Cool. Alot of vid cuts in there with that blowtorch heating up that wood. Bet it took longer than it appeared and the wood was dry. Just my .02.

I think he's full of it and I would call him out publicly. From what I've seen people are using thinner pieces of wood in the WSM this guy is using half cut logs that are cut in half. if anything he's using a fan controller there's no way he's doing the method that he is claiming. I've tried it it doesn't work. I've had roaring fires hotter than red hellfire and try to do his method in when I would open up the door 15 minutes later the logs are out. that or he's using a high-quality Post oak that's much better than what I have

be fruitless and futile at best.

Gotta wonder how many people said the very same thing to those two bicycle builders from Dayton?[/QUOTE]

Hmmn, I hear you; but I gotta wonder what those same people would wonder watching Orville and Wilbur nailing together strips of wood and affixing fabric to the structure in their attempt at building a flying machine while all the while a perfectly capable Boeing 747 was parked next to them?

Last edited:
I've found that kiln dried fuel is notoriously hard to deal with. I struggled maintaining temps until I started cutting my own fuel. Maybe source some local fuel and build a fire with very little lump. Just enough to start the fire.

I think he's full of it and I would call him out publicly. From what I've seen people are using thinner pieces of wood in the WSM this guy is using half cut logs that are cut in half. if anything he's using a fan controller there's no way he's doing the method that he is claiming. I've tried it it doesn't work. I've had roaring fires hotter than red hellfire and try to do his method in when I would open up the door 15 minutes later the logs are out. that or he's using a high-quality Post oak that's much better than what I have
I suggest that you try different wood before you just continue to bash Harry's character. There might just be something that your not doing right. Experiment until you figure it without the hatred. Good luck with your project.

I suggest that you try different wood before you just continue to bash Harry's character. There might just be something that your not doing right. Experiment until you figure it without the hatred. Good luck with your project.

I utilized six different techniques and it doesn't work. Maybe he has some special magical wood. That fire will not burn good with the door on and just the lid cracked.

Why did you buy a WSM if you wanted to use it as a stick burner?

That smoker is designed to burn regular Kingsford charcoal. Once you figure out how to use that smoker properly it will hold temp all day long on kingsford.

So to recap: You couldn't replicate Harry Soo's results. But you don't have his knowledge, experience, or proven championship record. So he is a liar? Got it. :wacko:

So to recap: You couldn't replicate Harry Soo's results. But you don't have his knowledge, experience, or proven championship record. So he is a liar? Got it. :wacko:

+1! That’s like saying you expect to be a great painter because you bought the same brand of paint and brushes as Michelangelo.

It doesn’t work that way!

Start out the way that smoker was designed to be used. Put Kingsford charcoal In It And light using the minion method. Put a quart of beer in the water pan then top off the rest of the way with water. Either bury chunks of dry smoke wood strategically in the charcoal, or just toss a chunk on top at the beginning and throw a new chunk on every 45 minutes or so for the first half of the cook. (Meat Doesn’t take much smoke after it hits 140°f So don’t wast the smoke wood after that.)

Leave the top vent wide open and adjust the bottom vents to achieve temp.
Have all vents wide open when lighting. Once the temp climbs to about 200°f close the three bottom vents down to about 1/4 open And let it stabilize on temp. if it climbs past your target temp close the bottom vents a little more. If it stabilizes below your target temp open the bottom vents a little more. Don’t chase the temps. Give the temp 10 or so minutes to settle between adjustments. Don’t worry about hitting an exact Pit temp. Getting it in the ballpark is good enough. As your experience increases so will your ability to get the pit temp closer to a desired temp, but in reality 20° either way will work just fine.

The biggest thing you need to learn when smoking meats is patience. Just sit back and have a beer and don’t monkey with anything unless you know it needs it. If you aren’t sure just leave it alone.

Last edited:
Back